Unable to make connection to XBox Live
kghare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is any one else experiencing a loss of connectivity to XBox live? I'm on the 71.188.80.0 network segment and all day yesterday we were unable to connect to live, same thing this morning. This is a connection that has worked for the last couple of years. When I ping the live node I do not get a response and a trace route disappears after 11 hops in the MSN network, but I can ping the xbox web site and testing with a 1500 byte MTU works fine so it's not an MTU issue. My gut feeling is that a new router or interface was added to the FIOS network sometime yesterday early morning and they've affected the routes being sent to Microsoft. Either that or MSN has a routing loop but I doubt this would only affect FIOS customers (saw a few posts online all from FIOS customers regarding this)

If you are not able to connect to live, can you post your external IP address first three numbers and maybe we can see if there's a commonality. I'm on hold with FIOS support right now so hopefully they are aware of this but usually a routing issue takes a while to get recognized.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to make connection to XBox Live
jaffo66
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue can be fixed by the consumer.

Here is what I did for my model router MI424-WR.

1 Log into your router and go to My Network

2 On left hand side, click on Network Connections

3 Click the edit button for the Broadband Connection (COAX)

4 Scroll down to Settings

5 Scroll down to DHCP Lease: and click on Release

6 Wait about 15 minutes

7 Click on Renew, if you you get a new IP address the problem should be resolved.  If you get the same IP again, release and try again.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

kghare
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I get support online and they tried to blow me off saying there is no way it can be a FIOS issue. As usual they want to wash their hands of any connectivity issue. There is a possibility that they have a wrongly advertised route in their tables though it's more likely to be a routing loop on the live network they could at least check the routes. Still the immediate jump for the support agent to say it's definately not a FIOS issue is maddening.

0 Likes
Sc661

Having the exact same problem also cannot get to support.xbox.com a TRACERT on support.xbox.com dies after 11 hops. I'm on {edited for privacy} segment. Not looking forward to trying to get Microsoft and Verizon to sort this out...

0 Likes
NJGamer

Same problem here in NJ.  External IP is 173.  Worked Friday night, but starting Saturday AM and continuing, it no longer works.  Upside - my kid helped with the yard work yesterday!

0 Likes
JohnInNJ609
I'm having same problem with FIOS in NJ. Live won't connect and some xbox support pages will not load on PC. I noticed problem on Saturday night, and I called Verizon this AM and they claim all is OK on their end. Will try to contact MS later this afternoon.
0 Likes
jaffo66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem for us in NJ, 173.x.x.x.

Stopped working on Saturday

0 Likes
JohnInNJ609
Just finished chatting with Verizon and they recognize the issue with their system. Engineers are working on the problem. Good luck to all those affected.
0 Likes
andyjast

same problem here, also NJ.  IP is 96.x.x.x    Noticed the problem yesterday

0 Likes
gregorybejar

We are also unable to make connection to Xbox live.  I have spoken to several different tech agents with no help.  Does anyone know if there is a solution yet?

0 Likes
andyjast

JohninNJ609 stated that he spoke with support, and that they are aware of the issue and are working on it.  I think all we can do is wait.  

0 Likes