Upgrade ONT to GPON for 1Gbit ethernet connection.
harishom

Is there a way I can request Verizon to provide me ONT upgrade to GPON  as I need 1Gbit link from ONT to my router.

I am on 75/35Mbps package currently?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade ONT to GPON for 1Gbit Ethernet connection.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could try asking Verizon directly.  Use the "contact us" link at the bottom of this web page for Verizon's chat or phone contact options.

That said, I'm not sure if BPON and GPON can co-exist on the same fiber.  So, it may be impossible to upgrade you to GPON without upgrading the entire central office.  If so, nothing you can say to Verizon will change that.

Finally, 75Mbps service over a 100Mbps link is perfectly acceptable.  A 100Mbps link can carry 85-90Mbps at full capacity.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade ONT to GPON for 1Gbit ethernet connection.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

"Is there a way I can request Verizon to provide me ONT upgrade to GPON"

In general, VZ won't do this just because you want it.

As gs0b said, your ONT and 100Mbps connection are adequate for the service level you're subscribed to.

Now, if you want to force the issue, you could upgrade to the 150/65 tier.  That requires an upgrade to GPON.

"I need 1Gbit link from ONT to my router"

I don't understand why you think you need a giabit connection to the ONT with the 75/35 tier.

The connection you have is perfectly adequate.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade ONT to GPON for 1Gbit Ethernet connection.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

That said, I'm not sure if BPON and GPON can co-exist on the same fiber.  So, it may be impossible to upgrade you to GPON without upgrading the entire central office.  If so, nothing you can say to Verizon will change that.

There are plenty of areas that are a mix of BPON and GPON, although as the BPON equipment starts to break down GPON gear will replace it all. The CO will require upgrades, swapping OLTs/cards, but once a GPON card is swapped onto the Fiber, the entire splitter in the Fiber Distribution Hub connecting to that fiber is now GPON. From there it's an upgrade of the ONT. With that said you can have BPON and GPON in the same Fiber Distribution Hub.

Probably the easiest way to explain that.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade ONT to GPON for 1Gbit ethernet connection.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@harishom wrote:

Is there a way I can request Verizon to provide me ONT upgrade to GPON  as I need 1Gbit link from ONT to my router.

I am on 75/35Mbps package currently?

Thanks

Why would you think you need a 1Gbit link from the ont to the router? as your tier is giving you less than 100Mbit.

If you upgrade to a 150Mbit tier they will give you a 1Gbit link as the 100Mbit link would not support the new tier speed.

0 Likes