Upgrade the FIOS router
rutripin
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone know if I can ask Verizon to upgrade my router to the MI424WR (I think revG) from the older one I have. I want to have wireless N and use a few of the Coaxial Network Adapter.

If they won't  can't i just purchase my own or would this be frowed uponSmiley Indifferent

thanks

Re: Upgrade the FIOS router
ryanca_vz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Currently Verizon doesn't offer the 802.11n router as an orderable option. Many new routers that we use on installs will be 802.11n capable.

As you alluded, you can use your own 802.11n router as an access point (WAP). Don't worry, you will not be frowned upon 🙂

stpetematt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to purchase a top of the line N Router to upgrade my home wireless. What is the max speed I can purchase right now that I can get benefits out of? Does it matter which FIOS router I currently have or are all ports the same speed regardless?

Thanks!

stpetematt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also, how do you set it up? Do you simply plug into a LAN port on the FIOS router or do you use the WAN port? How do I optimize performance and what kind of difference would I see in a house with at least 9 wireless devices- many of which use quite a bit of bandwidth...? Is there a guide for setting this up somewhere I am not finding? Obviously i will need to follow the directions on whatever I purchase but I want to make it work the first time I set it up optimally or it will get complicated. Does anyone out there recommend a really nice line of routers?

Zippster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Replacing the router completely or just adding your own in for the wireless etc will depend upon the services you have from fios ( just internet, tv etc ) do a google on DSL reports site and there is a whole workup on how, what and why.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@stpetematt wrote:

I would like to purchase a top of the line N Router to upgrade my home wireless. What is the max speed I can purchase right now that I can get benefits out of? Does it matter which FIOS router I currently have or are all ports the same speed regardless?

Thanks!

With the exception of the Rev. G ActionTec router, which is a rarity in Verizon's FiOS areas at the moment, all of the ActionTec ports as well as the Westell ports are 100Mbps Full Duplex Ethernet. You can attach something such as the TRENDNet Easy N Upgrader Access Point to give your home Wireless N. It won't do dual-band, but it will do the job. Just be aware that with Wireless N, you MUST only use WPA2-PSK AES as your Security Option, and all clients should have Wireless N radios in them for ideal performance. For performance, the least amount of devices on the Wireless, the better. Put what you can on an Ethernet/MoCa/Powerline adapter and use anything else that is not practical to put onto Ethernet on the wireless. Also, use a tool such as InSSIDer to ensure your network is operating on non-occupied or the least occupied channels in your neighborhood, as this will ensure the best range, speed, and stability.