Upgraded from g1100 to g3100 Help??
Dpohlma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech came to my house and upgraded my router to g3100. Lost all of the settings. I have the old g1100. I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I use the Grey WAN port on the old router G1100? Would the internet speed be throttled? I know MOCA is only capable for 500 megs. Is eithernet port bound by that limitation?

2. Can I move the settings from G1100 to G3100 and use the new router?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgraded from g1100 to g3100 Help??
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are internet only (no TV) and have your own home network gear, you likely don't need a Verizon router at all.  If your home network already has an AP that can run in router mode, simply plug it into the Ethernet WAN from the ONT.

If your home network nodes are all pure APs, you will need a router in the mix.  If you don't have one, the G1100 will work just fine.

As for the Verizon routers, they automatically detect if coax WAN or Ethernet WAN is connected.  There are no settings to adjust.  Just reboot them when you change ports.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not aware of any way to move the settings.

That said, there aren't that many settings to care about besides SSID.  Is that your concern?  If so, just change the SSID and passphrase to what you want.  You may still need to go to each device and delete/re-add the WiFi connection.

If there is some other setting you're concerned about, post the details and I or others may be able to help.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dpohlma1 wrote:

Can I use the Grey WAN port on the old router G1100?

It depends. If you want to establish another network from G1100 downstream of G3100, you can do that. You would need to configure separate subnets to avoid IP conflicts. If you want to use G1100 as an extender, switch, access point, or any combination thereof, you cannot use the WAN port. If you want to "bridge" G1100 into the existing network, follow this tutorial for configuring G1100. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/G1100-Bridging-Guide/bd-p/g1100-bridging-guide 

@Dpohlma1 wrote:

I know MOCA is only capable for 500 megs. Is eithernet port bound by that limitation?

Not completely correct. On G1100, its MoCA LAN interface is limited to 500Mbps. But MoCA 2.5 standard can reach 2500Mbps, exceeding the gigabit Ethernet. G3100 has MoCA 2.5, which renders its MoCA interface faster than the Ethernet interfaces. You can connect G1100 to G3100 via MoCA too, but we would need the first 6 digits (**:**:**:[**:**:**not this part, you should not disclose this part for privacy]) of your G1100's MAC address to check.

Dpohlma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already have an access point and home network set up that is not part of the router. I know that I have to put the router in bridge mode to make it all work. I know for a fact that the G1100 works with the setup I have. I am trying to see if I can use the G1100's WAN ethernet port instead of the new router they gave me. Failing that I want to transfer the settings from the G1100 to the new router.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh, you are asking whether you need the G3100 at all?

NO. G1100 is good enough for 940/880. G3100 is unnecessary in a majority of the cases.

Dpohlma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info. I have told my friend to return the new router once we get setup. Which leads me to my next question. The old router was using coax. The new one it connected via ethernet. Do I need to change a setting in the old router to go from the coax port to the ethernet WAN port? (I believe it's the Grey port)

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are internet only (no TV) and have your own home network gear, you likely don't need a Verizon router at all.  If your home network already has an AP that can run in router mode, simply plug it into the Ethernet WAN from the ONT.

If your home network nodes are all pure APs, you will need a router in the mix.  If you don't have one, the G1100 will work just fine.

As for the Verizon routers, they automatically detect if coax WAN or Ethernet WAN is connected.  There are no settings to adjust.  Just reboot them when you change ports.

Dpohlma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your help and the Verizon FIOS forums as well. He hooked up the old router to the ethernet WAN port and his network is up and running. Told him to return the new router.