Upgrading above 100mbps
soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I currently have 100mbps internet going through the coax to a Verizon modem.  My house is wired for coax but doesn't have ethernet.  My understanding is upgrading beyond 100mbps would require an ethernet connection so if my house isn't wired for that is that just not possible?

Funnily I do have 2 Cat5e cables outside my house but I have no idea where they go.  I've looked in each of the cable panels in my house and only see the coax cable, not the ethernet.

I even had someone out to give me an estimate for wiring for ethernet and it looks like it would be a very complicated expensive job just based on how my house is built.  Am I just stuck?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading above 100mbps
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have TV service, a Verizon router is required for advanced features like remote DVR playback.

The current router you have is a G1100, whose MoCA LAN adapter is capped at 500Mbps, not gigabit. To overcome this limit, you would need external MoCA adapters rated at least 1000Mbps.

Your current Verizon router is placed in your office, which I assume is kind of distant from the ONT. Since you need to wire an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the Verizon router, I recommend to relocate the router to where ONT coax enters the house for two reasons. First is to make the Ethernet run easier. You don't want to run an Ethernet cable from the outside all the way to your office. Second, since you don't use the wireless access point on G1100, the placement of the G1100 does not matter.

After relocating the router, you need to buy two or more MoCA adapters to enable 1000Mbps coax throughput. I recommend two ECB5240M from Verizon, costs $55 each. One MoCA adapter needs to be placed next to the Verizon router, with a LAN port from the router plugged into the adapter. The Coax plugged into Verizon router needs to be transferred to the MoCA adapter. Note: The ONT coax still needs to be connected in the coax network for analog TV signal.

In your office, install the second MoCA adapter. The coax from the wall should be connected to the MoCA adapter, and your wireless access point should be connected to the adapter using Ethernet cable. Other wired devices in your office can be connected to the adapter as well. The adapter offers 4 Ethernet ports.

Also, just to mention the upgrade fee. By default, Verizon management system will charge you a one-time $149 fee for speed upgrade and tech visit. The tech visit will come to check whether your ONT is capable of gigabit service, as well as running an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router. However, this fee can be waived if 1) you give us your ONT's model number and we have checked it is gigabit-capable 2) you run an Ethernet wire from the ONT to the router by yourself.

If you have more questions, we are happy to help.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, Fios uses routers, not modems.

For speeds above 100Mbps, Ethernet is required between the ONT and the router.  Devices can continue to connect to the router by MoCA LAN (coax), WiFi or Ethernet.  Depending on your router model, MoCA and WiFi may not be able to achieve the higher speeds.  For example, if you get 1Gbps service and have a G1100, devices will be limited to several 100Mbps each.  The G3100 has faster WiFi and MoCA.  There are other options; if you want to explore them tell us your current equipment and your goals.

It sounds like you got a quote to run Ethernet to multiple rooms.  That would be a lot of money and time.  You only need one Ethernet run from the ONT to the router.  To get this run, you've several options:

• Have a Verizon Tech do it.  If you need an ONT upgrade, some of this work may be included in the upgrade fee, otherwise there may be additional charges Note they don't run cables inside walls.  They tack them to the outside.
  • Hire a handyman to do it.
  • Do it yourself.  The complexity is typically getting the cable through walls and floors.  If you don't have a lot of walls and floors to go through, it's not that hard. You can find plenty of tutorials online.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, the OP's inquiry has two parts.

1) The coax wiring from the ONT (repeat after me, Verizon Fios does not use modems).

2) The coax wiring for in-house network distribution.

Upgrading broadband speeds beyond 100Mbps ONLY requires an Ethernet connection between the ONT and the router.

Upgrading broadband speeds beyond 100Mbps does NOT require in-house wiring to be all Ethernet. There are MoCA adapters capable of pulling 1G or even 2.5G throughput on your existing in-house coaxial wirings. Depending on your router, planning and budget, there are several options available.

If you are upgrading your broadband connection to speeds less than 500Mbps, G1100 is capable of pulling 500Mbps on Coax LAN. To save budget, simply buy multiple used G1100 off Ebay ($37 ea) to act as MoCA adapters, switches, and access points.

If you are upgrading your broadband connection to gigabit. You can buy G3100 with MoCA 2.5 (2.5Gbps) along with several standalone MoCA 2.5 adapters or E3200 for extending wired and wireless connections. G3100 is $300, standalone MoCA 2.5 adapters are likely $60 each, and E3200 is $200 each.

OR, you can buy multiple ECB5240Ms Bonded 2.0 MoCA bridge from Verizon for 1Gbps MoCA LAN connections. ECB5240M costs $55 each.

To give you a purchase plan, you can tell us how fast you would like to upgrade to. How many places you would like to have wired and wireless extensions in your house?

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wanted to upgrade to gigabit.  I used the word modem because that's all the device in my house really serves as because I use an external wireless router.  And then there is another device, I assume that's the ONT, in a box outside my house that is actually wired to the coax in the house.  One coax connection is attached to the Verizon router in my house and that router is attached to my wireless router.

I'm still having trouble understanding if I wired the device outside my house via ethernet to the Verizon router or even my own router in the house how does that allow me to get internet across the coax wired in my house?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you tell us the models of your equipment, that will really help give you relevant advise.  Let us know if you have TV service and Verizon set-top-boxes, as that impacts your options.  I'm also curious how your non-Verizon router is connected to coax; I suspect you have a MoCA adapter in the mix.

Verizon routers support TWO MoCA networks over a single coax cable.  One is a WAN connection to the ONT; this is the one that must be replaced with an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the currently empty Ethernet WAN port on the router.  The other is a MoCA LAN.

In addition to MoCA LAN, the router provides LAN services over Ethernet and WiFi.  MoCA LAN makes it possible to provide network services to locations that only have a coax connection.   Typical MoCA LAN devices are Verizon set-top-boxes (thus the question above), Verizon network extenders, and MoCA adapters for devices that don't have built in MoCA LAN ports.

If you are running a variety of MoCA LAN devices today, you can continue to run them after upgrading to gigabit without modification.  All that changes is the Verizon router will use an Ethernet cable to connect to the ONT.  It will continue to provide MoCA LAN services to your MoCA LAN devices.  As Cang_Household noted, depending on your equipment, speeds over MoCA may not be gigabit.

If you don't have Verizon TV services, you can use any router you want.  If you still want a MoCA LAN with a non-Verizon router, you'll need to add an external MoCA adapter.

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do have television service as well.

How my setup currently looks is the device outside my house, I assume that's the ONT, is connected to the coax in my house.  In my office I have the verizon router connected to the coax.  I was unhappy with the wireless signal from that router so I turned it into a bridge and connected my own via ethernet.  That now serves the wireless signal to my house.

I would have to get the model number of the router this afternoon after I'm at home.

If I'm understanding correctly if I were to upgrade my service they would connect the device outside my house not to the coax but instead via ethernet to a router.  I could then connect that router to the coax to send a faster signal across the coax and use adapters in areas I would like a hard wired ethernet connection?

Sorry for all the confusion.

0 Likes
soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is what the router looks like, the account page just says Quantum Gateway Router

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have TV service, a Verizon router is required for advanced features like remote DVR playback.

The current router you have is a G1100, whose MoCA LAN adapter is capped at 500Mbps, not gigabit. To overcome this limit, you would need external MoCA adapters rated at least 1000Mbps.

Your current Verizon router is placed in your office, which I assume is kind of distant from the ONT. Since you need to wire an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the Verizon router, I recommend to relocate the router to where ONT coax enters the house for two reasons. First is to make the Ethernet run easier. You don't want to run an Ethernet cable from the outside all the way to your office. Second, since you don't use the wireless access point on G1100, the placement of the G1100 does not matter.

After relocating the router, you need to buy two or more MoCA adapters to enable 1000Mbps coax throughput. I recommend two ECB5240M from Verizon, costs $55 each. One MoCA adapter needs to be placed next to the Verizon router, with a LAN port from the router plugged into the adapter. The Coax plugged into Verizon router needs to be transferred to the MoCA adapter. Note: The ONT coax still needs to be connected in the coax network for analog TV signal.

In your office, install the second MoCA adapter. The coax from the wall should be connected to the MoCA adapter, and your wireless access point should be connected to the adapter using Ethernet cable. Other wired devices in your office can be connected to the adapter as well. The adapter offers 4 Ethernet ports.

Also, just to mention the upgrade fee. By default, Verizon management system will charge you a one-time $149 fee for speed upgrade and tech visit. The tech visit will come to check whether your ONT is capable of gigabit service, as well as running an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router. However, this fee can be waived if 1) you give us your ONT's model number and we have checked it is gigabit-capable 2) you run an Ethernet wire from the ONT to the router by yourself.

If you have more questions, we are happy to help.

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for all the information, I think I understand.  I will check on the ONT for the model number but I think it would be difficult for me to run the ethernet from the ONT to a router anyway since it is outside the house.