Upgrading old dvr/stb/router with existing coax and Google nest for fios internet/TV?
mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've currently got a very old dvr and set top boxes running through coax and Google nest using the old orange actiontec modem as a bridge.  I don't know why it works because I read in a guide that you needed to have ethernet coming from the ONT to be able to do this.  I'm terrified upgrading my dvr will bring this whole house of cards down and I won't know how to fix it because I'm not too good with networking stuff. Im happy with coax - I'm on a 50 mb plan and have no complaints. Will I have to upgrade to ethernet use the new router or will my speeds just be capped? I recall thinking I couldn't upgrade my stuff at one point because something wouldn't be compatible but I can't recall what it was.  Will I be able to use the latest and greatest fios stuff using the router as a bridge with google nest or am I gonna run into problems? Do I even need to upgrade router if I'm just using it as a bridge?  The only issue I have currently is that I can't control the dvr throught the ios app which I don't mind.  Thanks for help

0 Likes
Re: Upgrading old dvr/stb/router with existing coax and Google nest for fios internet/TV?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few quick bullet points:

. Using a coaxial cable connection for Internet service between the ONT and a router will cap the speed.

. Using an ethernet cable between the ONT and the router will allow for faster Internet speeds.

. The 424 is an obsolete router and has been EoL for a while.

. The G1100 is still current, but if the past is any indication, the unit will be winding down sooner rather than later.

. The G3100 is the current router except for users who subscribe to multi-gigabit Internet service.

. If there is a subscription to FiOS television, a Verizon router must be used as the primary in order for all features to function including STB updates.

. My hunch is that the ONT onsite is an older model. Consider having Verizon swap it out with the current model, the Alcatel-Lucent/Nokia 211. Also, a stare & compare of the present subscriptions with Verizon's current offerings could yield a bump-up in service at a lower cost.  🙂

Re: Upgrading old dvr/stb/router with existing coax and Google nest for fios internet/TV?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a lot of information to parse.

Are you looking to upgrade both the DVR/STB and the Fios router?

Regarding DVR/STB, you seem to mention about "cards." Do you mean the M-cards provided by VZ? If that's the case, are you using your own DVR/STB? If not, Fios STB is pretty similar between then and now. They just need a coaxial connection from both the ONT and a VZ router.

Regarding Fios router, I am thinking about you are hinting at the newest router CR1000A (please check the model number, thanks). From my memory, CR1000A lacks a WAN MoCA interface and has to be connected with the ONT with Ethernet. G3100, the second most recent router, does have a WAN MoCA interface and can remain on the MoCA WAN connection, that is to have the same wiring as the old Actiontec router to the ONT.

If you need speeds greater than 100Mbps, which is actually cheaper than legacy 50Mbps, an Ethernet connection between the router and the ONT is required anyway.

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is was a lot of info to parse, sorry.  As far as "cards" that was just a figure of speech.  I'm looking to really just upgrade my dvr.  I figured I'd have to upgrade my stb's as well but could be wrong.  Do I even need to upgrade my router if I'm just using it as a bridge anyway? You seem to be saying that, if I need to upgrade my router, then I have to go 3100 to maintain a Moca option, correct?  Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What prompts you to upgrade your DVR? Are you trying to get higher resolution video?

Also, your Actiontec is unlikely in a bridge mode, but rather in a double NAT mode with the Nest. Bridge mode won't work with VZ DVRs. Another thing, that Actiontec is end of service life and continued operation poses a security risk because the vendor has long stopped releasing security patches.

You don't really need to maintain a WAN MoCA connection. As I mentioned, legacy packages are more expensive than current packages with higher Internet speeds. If you could provide photos of your ONT, router, and DVR/STBs, that would be great for our CLs to evaluate your situation more precisely.

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks so much for your help.  We need to upgrade the DVR because it's on its way out (picture/guide freezes and I have to reboot) and because the guide is just, and always has been, excruciatingly slow.  The DVR model is Arris VMS1100, the STBs' are Arris Ipc1100P2, the router is actiontec M1424WR, and I've attached a pic of ONT.  Again, I'm using Google Nest as my actual router.  I'd be happy upgrading to 100mbs I just would prefer that any new gear work with coax so I don't have to rewire my house. Thanks again!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon FiOS hardware works well with coaxial cable. Note that Internet speed will be kneecapped when using it to connect the router to the ONT.

The router and STBs are long in the tooth and should be upgraded. Once the image of the ONT is approved by a Moderator, we'll be able to see what is installed.

Coaxial cable splitters should be MoCA rated 2.0 or higher. 🙂

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Eek, that's a lot of old Verizon gear.  Time to upgrade for sure!

The latest Verizon set-top-boxes are a big improvement over the ones you have.  However, they require a Verizon router to be primary.  You can still use a non-Verizon router behind them if you want to, but your network will need to be restructured.

Further, all new installs and installs for speeds above 100Mbps require an Ethernet run from the ONT to router.  If you don't know how to install this, you'll want someone to do this for you.

Given that you've said you're networking skills are limited, I suggest you schedule a Verizon tech visit to come and install all the new gear.  They can run Ethernet from the ONT to (new) router.  The set-top-boxes can run on coax, and you can add a Verizon extender on coax to increase WiFi coverage.

Why do you have the Nest router?  If it's for WiFi coverage, a Verizon extender could replace it with plug-n-play simplicity.  If you order Gigabit, they can toss one in for free.  Or, you can stick the Nest behind the Verizon router, but that gets into more complex network issues; if you're up to learn more!

mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I got the nest for coverage because there were a lot of dead spots - concrete walls old house and tried an extender.  I also really like the nest.  What with the new gear would prevent me from setting up the new stuff like my current set up?  I just plugged my nest into back of Actiontec and turned off the actiontec broadcasting of SSID and I've never had a hiccup ever. I think I recall there being a potential issue with upgrading when I researched this before, but I can't remember what it was.  Thank you all for your help.  It's much appreciated.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The latest STBs require a FiOS router in order update TV listings, firmware updates and other tasks.

Not having a FiOS router present or having it operate in bridge mode can cause problems.

The E3200 is plug & play when paired with the G3100. The 3200 can connect via Ethernet, coaxial cable or Wi-Fi.

The E3200 is also compatible with the new multi gigabit router.