Upgrading Router Issue
user2115

Hi there,

I recently bought a new Fios Home router to replace a much older MI424WR unit. When I attempted to setup the new router, it would not register there was a coax internet connection, and hence no internet. It worked fine when I plugged the old unit back in. I recently upgraded my plan and purchased the new router, the ‘effective date’ of the order isnt for a couple of days but I have already noticed an increase in speed. Is it an issue with not registering the new change in hardware with verizon? Or the billing order not going through yet? Something else?

Many thanks,

Tom

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading Router Issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When changing your router, perform a DHCP Release on your old router just as you're about to turn it off. This can be done from the router's web interface. Once complete, you can connect the new router. Otherwise, you'll need to wait a few hours for the IP Address lease to expire before the new router works.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router is not provisioned by Verizon.  You can switch at any time.

Did your old router have an Ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port?  If so, you'll need that in addition to coax on the new router.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When changing your router, perform a DHCP Release on your old router just as you're about to turn it off. This can be done from the router's web interface. Once complete, you can connect the new router. Otherwise, you'll need to wait a few hours for the IP Address lease to expire before the new router works.