Upload speed issue, yet again
ddretertge
Enthusiast - Level 1

At this point Verizon need to take a stance and troubleshoot this issue, instead of ignoring apparently and let users trying to solve issue on their own.

My upload speed both on Verizon site and Speedtest.net report as 7 Mbps. I'm on 25 Mbps connection both ways.

My test system is hardwired and running Windows 7 x64.

Re: Upload speed issue, yet again
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ddretertge wrote:

At this point Verizon need to take a stance and troubleshoot this issue, instead of ignoring apparently and let users trying to solve issue on their own.

My upload speed both on Verizon site and Speedtest.net report as 7 Mbps. I'm on 25 Mbps connection both ways.

My test system is hardwired and running Windows 7 x64.

Coule be true.

I ran at a steady 25/25 approx for 2 month after installation.  Now seem to be at a fairly steady 25/9.  I don't really upload that much but would like to get what I am paying for

0 Likes
FiosLovingGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

reset the unit by turning it off compteley from any power source for 5 mins then plug it back in . let us know if that works

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@FiosLovingGuy wrote:

reset the unit by turning it off compteley from any power source for 5 mins then plug it back in . let us know if that works

Resetting the ONT? Would require the the user unplug the battery backup and unplug the power supply to the Unit. I have been informed by Verizon employees that it is not a good thing to do unless you are in contact with Verizon tech support. When cold booting the ONT as you suggest, it will clear any diagnostic data that could be helpful when troubleshooting issues with the ONT. Tech support should be able to connect to the ONT to assure the proper operation. But if you clear any diagnostic data they may not be able to see the problems. But if all else fails yes it is one thing to try. I have only cold booted my ONT once in 5 years, and that is because the phone service locked up once, and tech support was on the cell phone with me.

0 Likes
ArtisticCheese
Enthusiast - Level 1

I disconnected battery for 1 minute and put back in but this did not fix an issue. I suspect for people who fixes issues this way it actually means that you are switching to different IP after reset. I got the same up after battery disconnect and issue is still not fixed. I also run test on "optimized" Windows XP machine and still can not get even half of advertised speed (I'm getting 13 Mbps up if lucky on 25 connection).

This sucks a** and bearing in mind that a lot of people don't check their connection probably much bigger issues then 10 people complaining on this forum. Verizon really need to investigate this.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@ArtisticCheese wrote:

I disconnected battery for 1 minute and put back in but this did not fix an issue. I suspect for people who fixes issues this way it actually means that you are switching to different IP after reset.

Sounds like you didn't wait long enough maybe?  If you had the same outside IP then the lease wasn't really broken, seems to me.  I remember reading in the Vz Home Agent that one needed to wait... not sure if it was ten minutes or fifteen?  I looked for that step in the troubleshooting section but couldn't find it.  It may have been in the place where you clone a MAC.  Anyway, if you have been successful in breaking your ONT's lease you should show a new IP in your router's control panel.... 
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Have you tried running your speedtest at other locations? I never get good results on the Verizon speedtest site. I usually use speedtest.net and gives me good results. I also use speakeasy and usually between the two of them I can tell if the problem is internet related or my connection

www.verizon.net/speedtest

www.speedtest.net

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

0 Likes
ArtisticCheese
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried 3 different bandwidth metering sites. Each and everyone of them showing that at most I'm getting 11 Mbps. I also verified that it's not OS, I run this on "optimized" Windows XP machine as well and results are the same.

I think issue is widespread just not everybody checks their upload speed and it's not very noticable either but I do use it during online backups and paying for 25 Mbps but getting 11Mbps at most.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

I've had my share of Actiontecs go out on me, so it may just be that simple.  If you can find someone helpful at tech support you should be able to get him or her to check your router from their end.  Before they would replace my router for me they would do a test of their own, discover that it was indeed their equipment, and send me out another 2nd Day Air.  Is the problem that you only have FIOS Internet and have to pay for your own equipment?  You don't say what plan you have, but if you don't have TV then the router is on you if it's out of warranty.  No amount of Verizon tech support can do a workaround if your router is bad....

One way to see if it's a bad router is to plug your computer's ethernet connection directly into the WAN feed coming from the ONT and see if your speed goes back up.  For your ONT to make the transition you may have to reboot the ONT.  I remember that when my Actiontec went out I plugged my VoIP adapter straight into the wall jack that fed the Actionttec, but I forget what I did.  Maybe got tech support to break the lease for me?  Not sure.  I've slept since then.  Smiley Tongue  Anyway, it's doable to run just one device without the Actiontec in play as a stopgap measure until you or the company springs for another router. 

If it's the router in the first place, that is............ 

0 Likes
FiosLovingGuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, sorry I haven't been on for a few days. I have left mine off for about 5 mins. I heard from someone else who left theirs for 10 mins. But I did not change anything else. Just unplugged it from the battery and disconnected it from the power outlet and that was it. I also ran my speed test through verizon which gave me the right speed and through http://myspeed.visualware.com/

let me know what happens

0 Likes