USB Port on Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E
Bearnova
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was wondering if anyone knew how to connect a USB hard drive to the back of this router so that is available to the computers on the network.  The port is there, sure enough.  This is what I found in the user manual:

USB Port

The USB port provides up to 5 VDC for attached devices (to charge a cell phone, for example). In the future, with a firmware release upgrade, the USB host functionality will be available for devices such as external storage and cameras.

Wondering if the "future" was here yet, or if anyone knew when that would be. 

Also, I tried logging into the router using the default ID "admin" and PW "password" or "password1" but it doesn't seem to work.  I've never been logged on to change them so not sure how they could be different.

Re: USB Port on Actiontec MI424WR Rev.E
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The router's USB port is still not functional for anything like you want to do.  No telling when, if ever, it will be.

If password or password1 don't work to get in to your router's setup page, try the router's serial number.  If that doesn't work you may have to reset the router using the reset button on the back of the router.  That should reset the password to password, password1, or the serial number.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Its great for charging my ipod and droid x   

🙂

Bearnova
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  Is there any way to make the connection to one of the ethernet ports with some sort of adapter?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Bearnova
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it would be the opposite of these you found.  You inspired me to look for myself and this may do the trick:

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'll be curious what results you get with that adapter.  My guess is it still won't do what you want it to do.

Let us know.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes