use of Apple Airport Extreme and Apple TV with Verizon Fios wireless router
MacMan

Verizon says their router must be used.

I've just signed up for Fios (installation in 2 weeks), but about 3 months ago I bought a new Airport Extreme and Apple TV for my Mac desktop and new HD TV.

Will I be able to hook up the Apple base station to the Fios router, and will this "piggyback" setup work with the Apple TV?  If I can't hook up the Apple base station, will Apple TV still work with without it, connecting to the Fios router?

Or have I just wasted my money on these two Apple products?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: use of Apple Airport Extreme and Apple TV with Verizon Fios wireless router
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
You "should" be able to tie the airport extreme to the verizon router. The only hitch is what internal network the airport uses. Verizon's router is 192.168.1.1   if the airport if different, then just connect and go. If the airport is the same, then the airport has to be changed, then connect and go. Once done, then your system "should" work as before
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Besides what spacedebrismark said, see

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

And OR

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Title/Location: All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » 3.0 Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
0 Likes
SP

Hi

Were you ever able to get this to work. I am having the same problem, Itunes will not recognize the Apple TV. I manually opened ports 3689, 443 and 8080 in the Verizon router but no luck. How did you get it to work?

Thanks 

0 Likes
cvarner

If your computer running itunes is on a different subnet from your appletv, they won't see one another. The problem is bonjour

(otherwise known as mDNS). Don't know how much you know about networks, but basically broadcast packets don't move across 

subnets. If you google around, you'll find lots of discussions about this topic (a few on apple's support boards). The best answer is 

put both machines on the same subnet (ie, router) and it'll work great! The solutions for getting bonjour working across subnets

range from really complicated to mind numbingly complicated. 

Of course, all of this assumes that you have the computer & appletv on different routers. If this isn't the case, I think you'll need to 

give more details about your setup. I have my itunes computer wired to my wrt-300n, which connects wirelessly to my appletv --

no problems at all.

0 Likes