Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Usenet problems

SOLVED
Qak
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Usenet problems

Message 1 of 6
(5,054 Views)

Hello.  For the 2nd time in a week, I am having difficulties connecting to a news server using port 119, or with SSL ports 563 and 443.  The first time it occurred, I was unable to track down what was wrong before it began to work again (3 days or so)  It just started again today.  I was wondering if anyone else was having the same troubles.  I disabled all spyware, virus, and firewall programs with no success.  It was working this morning, and I made no changes to the system nor installed any new programs or updates of any kind.

Thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Qak
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Usenet problems

Message 6 of 6
(4,773 Views)

Well, it's been working steadily since Sunday.  I'm going to assume that whatever was wrong was not in my equipment, and has since been fixed/replaced/magically repaired somewhere down the line.  In any case, thanks for your interest, hopefully this is a closed matter.

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 6
(5,020 Views)

What news server?

I hope that you are not talking about the Verizon one, since it has been discontinued.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Qak
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 6
(4,997 Views)

The news server is Giganews, and as a test, Astraweb.  It would have been difficult for Verizon's discontinued service to have worked earlier in the week, let alone this morning.  As an update, its a sporadic problem apparently, in that it began working again for about 2 hours then cut off.   Still not working as of 4 PM. 

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 6
(4,917 Views)

Ok.

What is the brand, model, and ver of your router?

For example: Actiontec, MI-424-WI, C

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Qak
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 6
(4,882 Views)

The router is an Actiontec MI424 WR Rev E. 

The problem seems to have disappeared again, I was able to connect all day yesterday, and still can as of early this morning.  Hopefully it won't reappear in a few days, as it did last week.

<FIngers crossed>

Qak
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 6
(4,774 Views)

Well, it's been working steadily since Sunday.  I'm going to assume that whatever was wrong was not in my equipment, and has since been fixed/replaced/magically repaired somewhere down the line.  In any case, thanks for your interest, hopefully this is a closed matter.

Jim

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title