Usenet problems
Qak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello.  For the 2nd time in a week, I am having difficulties connecting to a news server using port 119, or with SSL ports 563 and 443.  The first time it occurred, I was unable to track down what was wrong before it began to work again (3 days or so)  It just started again today.  I was wondering if anyone else was having the same troubles.  I disabled all spyware, virus, and firewall programs with no success.  It was working this morning, and I made no changes to the system nor installed any new programs or updates of any kind.

Thanks

Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Usenet problems
Qak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it's been working steadily since Sunday.  I'm going to assume that whatever was wrong was not in my equipment, and has since been fixed/replaced/magically repaired somewhere down the line.  In any case, thanks for your interest, hopefully this is a closed matter.

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What news server?

I hope that you are not talking about the Verizon one, since it has been discontinued.

0 Likes
Qak
Enthusiast - Level 2

The news server is Giganews, and as a test, Astraweb.  It would have been difficult for Verizon's discontinued service to have worked earlier in the week, let alone this morning.  As an update, its a sporadic problem apparently, in that it began working again for about 2 hours then cut off.   Still not working as of 4 PM. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

What is the brand, model, and ver of your router?

For example: Actiontec, MI-424-WI, C

0 Likes
Qak
Enthusiast - Level 2

The router is an Actiontec MI424 WR Rev E. 

The problem seems to have disappeared again, I was able to connect all day yesterday, and still can as of early this morning.  Hopefully it won't reappear in a few days, as it did last week.

<FIngers crossed>

0 Likes
Qak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it's been working steadily since Sunday.  I'm going to assume that whatever was wrong was not in my equipment, and has since been fixed/replaced/magically repaired somewhere down the line.  In any case, thanks for your interest, hopefully this is a closed matter.

Jim

0 Likes