Using 2 Fios Routers for Wifi
kjfoster93

Hello,

I currently am using an Actiontec as my main rounter in my house. I recently purchased a new FIOS Quantum Gateway that I plan on swapping in as my primary router. Rather than toss my Actiontec, I was hoping to use it as a second router upstairs in order to give my house better wifi coverage. 

What would be the easiest way to configure this? I already have enabled the Ethernet port on my ONT, and plan to connect my new Quantum Gateway router using it. 

I've read several posts about being able to plug my old Actiontec into an existing coax line elsewhere in my house and use it as another access point. Would that work? And if so, how would that need to be configured?

0 Likes
Re: Using 2 Fios Routers for Wifi
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ont will only provide internet on coax or Ethernet, not both.

High level what you need to do is connect old router to new router via LAN port to LAN port on each. Disable dhcp on old router and it becomes an access point.

Search of the forums should have more details.

Re: Using 2 Fios Routers for Wifi
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Questionable if this is the best idea given there are relatively inexpensive wifi routers/access points on the market which would do a better job than the older ActionTec, but it can work.

Since you're provisioned Ethernet from Verizion, connect the new router into your setup and get everything working.  I assume there is Coax also connected to the new router?  You need this if you have FiOS TV, so if so, that's good.   If not, you'll need to connect to the Coax plant if you want to use the MoCA connectivity across Coax between the old and new router.

Once that is all setup, configure the old router (connect directly to it with it not connected to Coax or Ethernet on the WAN side and login to the admin account).  Disable the WAN interfaces (not needed in this setup; technically not required since it won't be connecting to anything that way anyhow) and most importantly disable the DHCP server.   Change the IP address of the router to an unused address (it's probably 192.168.1.1 which would conflict with your new router).  Make certain the WiFi settings here are identical to those for your new router (same SSID and password).  Lastly, connect the router to the Coax.

Once this is done, the old router should be able to see and communicate with the new router on the bridged LAN side of the network.  If so, the device you have connected to the old router should be able to be rebooted and you should be able to connect to the internet.