Using a Third Party Router with FIOS Internet
hmgs1

I know this has come up before, but I just want to make sure, thanks.

I have FIOS Internet (ONLY and NOT TV or Voice) and use their Internet Gateway which I rent for $ 19.95 a month. However, I am also now retired and quite frankly have become a bit more frugal (translation - cheap), and I also have a Linksys dual band router at my disposal, shrink wrap hasn't even been pulled.

I would like to substitute the Linksys for the Gateway and save $ 20 a month, and I know there has to be a conversion from the cable out of the wall plate to an ethernet line to slot into the Linksys. Can this be done easily and for little cost, or is this kinda in the too expensive, too hard to do box, so I should keep what I got?

Thanks, Colonel Bill

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using a Third Party Router with FIOS Internet
jonjones1
Legend

@hmgs1 wrote:

The location is not a problem. The FIOS Gateway is maybe four feet from the wall faceplate where the coax runs out of. I would simply be taking the Gateway out and dropping the Linksys in the same place.

The issue - and I'm not all that technically astute here - is that there is a coax running out of the wall plate so I assume it plugs into the coax conection in the back of the Quantum Gateway I have.  But the back of the Linksys has only ethernet ports, so I also assume there has to be some type of converter to go from the coax wall plate into the ethernet port.

Am I close here?

No converter. Like I said ethernet would first have to be active on your account. Secondly after it is switched over the new router or even the router you have now would have to have the ethernet wire run to the WAN port on the router.

You could call Verizon up and ask them to provision for ethernet, and then run your own wire. Or have Verizon send a tech to do it for you but like I said there may be a install charge. But it will be explained to you when you call Fios.

Also you would need to return the Verizon router back to a local Verizon Fios store.

make sure to get a receipt and don't send it back through the mails or package carrier services. Many people are claiming it was returned and yet Verizon claims it was not and the customer is getting charged for it as well as a credit report mark when you don't pay. So be very careful. The cost of having the provisioning from coaxial to straight ethernet is $0, the cost of you then running the cable varies by the amount of cable you need to reach your router this can cost between $20-$100 depending on where you purchase. You would want complete ethernet cat5e or 6 with the ends.

verizon techs make the twisted pair for connections to the ONT to the router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@hmgs1 wrote:

I know this has come up before, but I just want to make sure, thanks.

I have FIOS Internet (ONLY and NOT TV or Voice) and use their Internet Gateway which I rent for $ 19.95 a month. However, I am also now retired and quite frankly have become a bit more frugal (translation - cheap), and I also have a Linksys dual band router at my disposal, shrink wrap hasn't even been pulled.

I would like to substitute the Linksys for the Gateway and save $ 20 a month, and I know there has to be a conversion from the cable out of the wall plate to an ethernet line to slot into the Linksys. Can this be done easily and for little cost, or is this kinda in the too expensive, too hard to do box, so I should keep what I got?

Thanks, Colonel Bill

Well Colonel Bill:

I am a little confused as to just what you are paying $20 for? The rental of the Verizon Fios router is $10 a month.

Now you can use any customer supplied router with Fios. What needs to be done is to have the router (owner owned) set up through ethernet. If you call Verizon Fios and you need to have it switched from coaxial to ethernet that would be step one. If you are already using ethernet then this would not need to be done.

You would then access the Verizon router and go and release the dhcp from it, then immediately unplug the Verizon router.

After that is done you need to plug in your own supplied router and wait for it to get a dhcp before you can access the net.

there is a https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898 at this link to assist you.

and a full FAQ that may answer more of your questions here https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Oops sorry I closed out without answering your other question.

after you are switched over from coaxial to ethernet you would need to run the cat5e or cat6 from the ethernet port from the ont up to the wan port on your linksys router.

depending on where you want to place the router you may have to run it up to the router or if like most inside connections Fios has done it may be in your cellar or another place in your home. I have read that some installs have both the ont and router close to each other. If that is the case running the ethernet to the router will be easy.

you would have to activate wifi on your new router and test it out. However if you receive signal via coaxial from wall plates it may cost a few bucks to have it available where you want it. Drilling a few holes is easy but you don't want to damage your home.

Verizon can do the initial connection but they do charge for the service. So carefully think it through before you call 1-800-VERIZON 

0 Likes
hmgs1

The location is not a problem. The FIOS Gateway is maybe four feet from the wall faceplate where the coax runs out of. I would simply be taking the Gateway out and dropping the Linksys in the same place.

The issue - and I'm not all that technically astute here - is that there is a coax running out of the wall plate so I assume it plugs into the coax conection in the back of the Quantum Gateway I have.  But the back of the Linksys has only ethernet ports, so I also assume there has to be some type of converter to go from the coax wall plate into the ethernet port.

Am I close here?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@hmgs1 wrote:

Am I close here?

No converter. Like I said ethernet would first have to be active on your account. Secondly after it is switched over the new router or even the router you have now would have to have the ethernet wire run to the WAN port on the router.

You could call Verizon up and ask them to provision for ethernet, and then run your own wire. Or have Verizon send a tech to do it for you but like I said there may be a install charge. But it will be explained to you when you call Fios.

Also you would need to return the Verizon router back to a local Verizon Fios store.

make sure to get a receipt and don't send it back through the mails or package carrier services. Many people are claiming it was returned and yet Verizon claims it was not and the customer is getting charged for it as well as a credit report mark when you don't pay. So be very careful. The cost of having the provisioning from coaxial to straight ethernet is $0, the cost of you then running the cable varies by the amount of cable you need to reach your router this can cost between $20-$100 depending on where you purchase. You would want complete ethernet cat5e or 6 with the ends.

verizon techs make the twisted pair for connections to the ONT to the router.

0 Likes