Using Acronis cloud backup - transfer rates
therealex

Hi,

I bought the Acronis upgrade, which gave me unlimited cloud backup for a year.  I backed up my system "bare metal", so it came out to about 700 gigs.  This took roughly three days.  My speedtest just now came out to 50mps downloand, 30mps upload.

If that rate were sustained, it should have taken roughly 6 hours to upload.  Instead, it took 72.  Was my rate being throttled because of the amount being transferred?

I also want to back up my wife's computer, but not if it's going to take another 3 days!

Any information is appreciated.

- Russ

0 Likes
Re: Using Acronis cloud backup - transfer rates
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most Cloud storage backup providers throttle the upload and download rates on their services according to how much is uploaded. You'll often find over time, as you upload 1GB, to 10GB of data the rates will start to slow according to how much is being stored. Also note that if you have a lot of tiny files, those don't copy over as fast as large, contiguous files do.

Just something to consider. I would check the Terms of Service with the Acronis service to see if they mention anything about bandwidth limiting. Other services like Crashplan I know do.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Let me add that I like DU Meter.

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

I have DU Meter running full time in the lower right hand corner of my PCs and it lets me know what kind of real world / real time download and upload speeds I'm getting.

An example when I was uploading to my server:

DU Meter avoids a lot of guessing about what's going on.

0 Likes
therealex

Thanks, eljefe.  I'll try that.  I checked the Acronis site, I can't find any mention of throttling of transfer rates.  I'll send them an e-mail and inquire. 

- Russ

0 Likes