Using My Own Router with Existing Coax Connections
HillStreet
Enthusiast - Level 2

My whole house is wired with Coax.  I have recently returned all my STB's and switched to Samsung Smart Media Players with cable cards.  With streaming, I no longer need VOD, premium channels, and the like.  I did it to stop paying for STB's and to be able to switch to my own router to avoid the $15/mo VZ charges for a faster router.  All I've read about changing to my own non-VZ router involves switching to Ethernet from the ONT.  But I have to use my coax infrastructure.  What am I missing?  If I want coax connectivity to the cable cards, I cannot switch my ONT to Ethernet.  If I have to use coax from the ONT, what kind of router may I buy and how do I set it up?  Do I need some kind of MOCA converter?  I am so confused.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using My Own Router with Existing Coax Connections
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Third-party" means any party that is not you or Verizon.

You cannot substitute with your own router if you want to stay with MoCA WAN (what you called the "coax input"). I don't believe there are any third-party routers capable of MoCA WAN except from the manufacturers of Verizon's routers.

The TV guide shows the Media Hub is somehow accepting MoCA LAN created by the Actiontec router. To continue having the guide, just keep your Actiontec router as MoCA bridge, that is, disabling its broadband function, and use your own router as the gateway.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please give us more information, such as what router do you have right now? Do you own/rent the router?

Your house's coax wiring is not relevant to whether the ONT uses coax or ethernet for the router's WAN. The ONT is for the WAN side. Your house's network is the LAN side. The MoCA port on Verizon's router is a dual WAN / LAN coax port.

If you don't want to pull new ethernet wires, you only need LAN MoCA. I need to know whether you own the router or not for further technical recommendations.

HillStreet
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the old red router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1) supplied by VZ and not costing a monthly fee.  I am planning to buy a good state-of-the-art router, once I work out the details of how to connect it.  The VZ router is all I have right now and I no longer require a VZ router as all my TV connections to Fios TV are via cable card.

Are you saying that if I switch the ONT to Ethernet for the purpose of supplying WiFi to the house, the existing coax infrastructure will still carry Fios TV to my cable cards and not affect my telephones?  This is where I get confused.  I thought that switching from coax to Ethernet at the ONT would disconnect everything coax.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Coax/Ethernet switch on the ONT is not related to TV services. It affects how the Internet is delivered to the router. If you are using your own router or having subscription speed over 100Mbps, an ethernet connection between the ONT and the router is recommended or even required.

The Linear TV signal for cable boxes will always be delivered from the ONT's coax port whether you switch the Internet from Coax to Ethernet or not.

If you have devices that require MoCA, that is coax-based ethernet connection, you can still use the Actiontec router as a LAN MoCA bridge. Now the question becomes whether your third-party cable box requires network connection on coax?

HillStreet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for engaging with me.  I don't have a third party cable box.  It is a Samsung Smart media hub, sometimes called a cable card tuner.  the coax connection allows the cable card to direct Fios TV to the TV.  Even shows the guide, but I understand that might go away when I remove my VZ router.

My bottom line question is this.  If I am satisfied for the moment with my 100/100 internet speed on my Verizon plan, can I simply disconnect the Verizon router and substitute any router of my choosing with a coax input that is more powerful and/or has more features that the VZ router that seems to have a problem with the WiFi coming in and out?  If the MoCA is at the ONT, then any router should work just for internet, right?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Third-party" means any party that is not you or Verizon.

You cannot substitute with your own router if you want to stay with MoCA WAN (what you called the "coax input"). I don't believe there are any third-party routers capable of MoCA WAN except from the manufacturers of Verizon's routers.

The TV guide shows the Media Hub is somehow accepting MoCA LAN created by the Actiontec router. To continue having the guide, just keep your Actiontec router as MoCA bridge, that is, disabling its broadband function, and use your own router as the gateway.

HillStreet
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's what I am trying next.  Just ordered the router.  Thanks for all your help.