Using my own router with FIOS
xgerardz

OK, so I am on the 150/150 speed tier, which means my ont has ethernet enabled. I took off the coax running into the router and it looks like i still have internet and program guide on my STBs, even If i dont i dont really care as I dont have a DVR box or care about the guide. 

My question is, can I just buy my own router so I can stop renting from verizon month to month? if yes, do I need to make a call to tell them Im using my own router so they can release my IP?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using my own router with FIOS
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The STBs have a few days of the guide cached in them, so you won't lose it just by disconnecting the cable. Try powering one of the STBs off and back on to see if the guide gets downloaded then. I'm curious if it will. 

The following is my understanding, so it might be wrong. The G1100 and other Verizon routers have a MoCA adapter built in, so the router can accept either an RJ-45 Ethernet cable or a coax cable from the ONT.  If you are provisioned with coax, the adapter converts that to standard ethernet for the built-in wireless and LAN ports. The coax/video out from the ONT will be split before going into the router, so your STBs get the video directly out of the ONT. I believe they also supply the guide information to the STBs using MoCA (WAN), but I am really not clear on that.

If you are provisioned on Ethernet, the RJ45 from the ONT goes into the router and all Ethernet traffic goes through that. The video signal, I believe, is still coming out of the ONT directly into a coax fed into the house. The cable connected to the router is used to put the STB guide information on the coax using MoCA (LAN). (This could really wrong; the guide still could potentionally be coming from the ONT.)

If you replace Verizon's router with your own, I believe you can install your own MoCA bridge on the LAN side of the router like an Actiontec ECB6200. Check out https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057231-Eliminating-Verizon-Router-by-using-MoCA-Adapter and https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16626 for more information.

I don't think getting an IP address on the WAN side of your router is going to be an issue any more. At one time, Verizon had a pretty strict policy of not giving out a new IP to a different MAC address on the same ONT endpoint until the lease time expired (which was up to 3 hours) . When I went from static IP to dynamic, I had to disconnect for a few hours before connecting my router back up. (My router is a Linux firewall.) After that, I got a new IP and everything was just fine.

However, I recenty replaced my router with a much newer/faster Linux box. When I connected the WAN-side, I immediately got a new IP. There was no delay and the leases now seem to be 6 hours long. I also notice that I get the same IP address for long periods of time. Not forever, but weeks or months at a time.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@gerardz wrote:

OK, so I am on the 150/150 speed tier, which means my ont has ethernet enabled. I took off the coax running into the router and it looks like i still have internet and program guide on my STBs, even If i dont i dont really care as I dont have a DVR box or care about the guide. 

My question is, can I just buy my own router so I can stop renting from verizon month to month? if yes, do I need to make a call to tell them Im using my own router so they can release my IP?

You don't need to call them if using your own router.  However you can access the Verizon router and do a dhcp release and immediately unplug the router then plug in the ethernet into the customer supplied router.

Once it gets a dns you are set to go.

I would go directly to a Verizon Fios store (no resellers) and return the Verizon router. Get a receipt and make sure it's taken off your account right then and there.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Under the portion of how do I release my dhcp is what will assist you.

Good Luck

joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

no, you can just switch to any router you like.

as soon as verizon's dhcp server sees the new mac of your new router  

it will most likely assign your connection a new public ip automatically.  

keep in mind when you stop using your g1100 you limit fios support's  

ability to remotely test your connection should you have issues later.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The STBs have a few days of the guide cached in them, so you won't lose it just by disconnecting the cable. Try powering one of the STBs off and back on to see if the guide gets downloaded then. I'm curious if it will. 

The following is my understanding, so it might be wrong. The G1100 and other Verizon routers have a MoCA adapter built in, so the router can accept either an RJ-45 Ethernet cable or a coax cable from the ONT.  If you are provisioned with coax, the adapter converts that to standard ethernet for the built-in wireless and LAN ports. The coax/video out from the ONT will be split before going into the router, so your STBs get the video directly out of the ONT. I believe they also supply the guide information to the STBs using MoCA (WAN), but I am really not clear on that.

If you are provisioned on Ethernet, the RJ45 from the ONT goes into the router and all Ethernet traffic goes through that. The video signal, I believe, is still coming out of the ONT directly into a coax fed into the house. The cable connected to the router is used to put the STB guide information on the coax using MoCA (LAN). (This could really wrong; the guide still could potentionally be coming from the ONT.)

If you replace Verizon's router with your own, I believe you can install your own MoCA bridge on the LAN side of the router like an Actiontec ECB6200. Check out https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057231-Eliminating-Verizon-Router-by-using-MoCA-Adapter and https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16626 for more information.

I don't think getting an IP address on the WAN side of your router is going to be an issue any more. At one time, Verizon had a pretty strict policy of not giving out a new IP to a different MAC address on the same ONT endpoint until the lease time expired (which was up to 3 hours) . When I went from static IP to dynamic, I had to disconnect for a few hours before connecting my router back up. (My router is a Linux firewall.) After that, I got a new IP and everything was just fine.

However, I recenty replaced my router with a much newer/faster Linux box. When I connected the WAN-side, I immediately got a new IP. There was no delay and the leases now seem to be 6 hours long. I also notice that I get the same IP address for long periods of time. Not forever, but weeks or months at a time.

jbwilson1006

Can you use your own router with the gigabit plan or do you HAVE to purchase/use the one thru verizon?  The one I want to use is TP-Link Archer-C9-AC1900 long range wi-fi router. Dual-Band 2.4GHz (up to 600Mbps) + 5GHz (up to 1300Mbps.  1GHz Dual Core Processor. 3x Detachable External Antennas. 4x Gigabit Ethernet ports + 1x Gigabit WAN port. 1x USB 3.0 + 1x USB 2.0.

When I asked Customer Service, they said I have to use the one verizon rents.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You do not need to use Verizon’s router. You may use any router that can handle up to gigabyte speeds. However if you have tv in the package you will need to use a MOCA adapter which are common to purchase.

look at this link to see different ways to connect.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

So it's a kind of gray-area question. You can use your own router with the Gigabit plan, however, should you experience slowness of any kind over a wired connection the G1100 is required in order to troubleshoot at all.

Typically at that point I recommend keeping the router if you don't want to use it directly so that if you have issues and need to call in you can switch it out, or, if your router supports it, put your router in Access Point Mode / AP Mode.

I believe for you, if you purchase that router, these instructs details how to do it for that model should you decide to keep the G1100 and use your own at the same time: http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1199.html

jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately the liability to Verizon Fios is Then the service up to the ONT.

which is solely the responsibility of Verizon 

any person who can hook up their own routers and networks need to know how to maintain it.

They could call in and the screen reader would run through troubleshooting from speed to the home (ONT)

after that It would be the customers responsibility to troubleshoot the customer owned router. I keep multiple routers on hand just in case it’s necessary.

even buying a Quantum for a spare is a good solution just in case.

Amisha_Sancheti

So, I have a 50/50 plan and I want to switch to my own router, which router would u suggest to buy?

@gerardz wrote:

@gerardz wrote:

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes