Using Nest home wifi router and FIOS router for moca
Tower2

My setup is as follows:

Nest home WIFI router connected to the Verizon ONT via ethernet cable.  This gives me my wifi throughout my home.  Seems to be working great.

Verizon Actiontec M1424WR Rev.1 router is connected to the ONT via coax.  It is also connected to my Nest wifi router via ethernet.  The ethernet cable goes from LAN port on Nest router to WAN port on Actiontec router.  This gives me the moca connection which allows the on demand features to work on Verizon's set top boxes.  

In order to upgrade my wifi speed from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps verizon is making me return the Actiontec router.  I tried to use a motorola moca adapter but that didn't work.  My new plan is to buy a router on eBay to replace the Actiontec router which verizon is forcing me to return or pay $100 for unreturned equipment.

My questions are:

1.  Will the router I buy on eBay work immediately or do I need to program it to work with my verizon account?

2.  Since I am only using this verizon router for the moca connection does it matter what kind of verizon router I buy?   Should I try and buy a better Verizon router then the Actiontec that I have now?  Maybe a verizon quantum router?   

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Nest home wifi router and FIOS router for moca
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use the same setup as you and it works fine. I have a Ubiquiti router which connects to an ethernet switch then connect to the MoCA adapter. I also used a Verizon G1100 router in the past which also worked. The Moto rep was wrong about needing two adapters. That's definitely not true. The Verizon set-top boxes seem to like the 192.168.1.X subnet, so I would see if changing your router's subnet to that. 

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmm. The Motorola adapter should have worked, as long as it was set to operate on the same MoCa channels that the Set Top boxes expect (Above 1Ghz). You do have to reboot the set top boxes sometimes, after changing out your router.

For a FiOS router, you can probably find G1100s on eBay if you don't want to buy right from Verizon. Make sure the router you get does not have Frontier firmware, though.

Tower2

I Called Motorola support and he said I would need 2 MoCA adapters to make it work.  Not worth the brain power or the money to do that since I can get Fios routers on eBay for half the price of one MoCA adapter. 

0 Likes
Tower2

With the Fios router I am going from LAN from my router to WAN on the Fios router

With  MoCA adapter it is LAN to LAN. 

I feel like this is a problem. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use the same setup as you and it works fine. I have a Ubiquiti router which connects to an ethernet switch then connect to the MoCA adapter. I also used a Verizon G1100 router in the past which also worked. The Moto rep was wrong about needing two adapters. That's definitely not true. The Verizon set-top boxes seem to like the 192.168.1.X subnet, so I would see if changing your router's subnet to that.