Using Netgear WNDR3700 router directly with Verizon FIOS - any advvice?
mystiky
Enthusiast - Level 1

About 3 days ago I had Verizon FIOS installed at my house. I have opted for the Internet & Phone plan only (no TV), so I have the Netgear WNDR3700 router connected directly to the Verizon FIOS ONT via the Ethernet CAT5 cable.

Everything seems to be working fine during these first 60 hours, but I have had a couple of short disconnects happen.
I am wondering if there are any settings that I need to double check in my Netgear router setup / configuration to make sure that it is not causing these minor hick-ups. I have the MTU set to 1500, DHCP on with "No login required".

Any advise or suggestions are appreciated. BTW: I am running the latest firmware and revisions for the router (firmware: V1.0.4.68NA gui: V1.0.0.42).

The rest of my setup is: I am running Windows 7 x64 bit using an EVGA nVidia 780 motherboard with nForce 15.53 WHQL drivers. Perhaps I need to check some of the Ethernet Adapter Settings inside Windows 7 / Control Panel / Device Manager / Network adapters?

I can say that I have the Power Management turned Off. But there are many other options which may not be set correctly which may casue my disconnets (like should I enable/disable Low Power Idle mode)?

Here are two screen captures (as I need to scroll down to see the rest of the options) of what my options are:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3243/lanport1.jpg

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/36/lanport2.jpg

Any and all input is appreciated

0 Likes
Re: Using Netgear WNDR3700 router directly with Verizon FIOS - any advvice?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

No, there's nothing special you need to do. With the type of setup you have, it should simply be a plug and play situation. Now of course there are always things you can tweek to optimize your system, and I'm sure you will get others that have suggestions. But for actual connectivity, you should be good to go.

Now for your disconnects. Do you know if your router was dropping the connection to the outside, or dropping the connection to you computer? If to the outside, I would double check the ethernet cable from the ONT to the router. Make sure all the connections are secure and seated properly. Also when you installed your router, you reset it first so that you were starting with a fresh router connection right? If not, I would reset the router to factory, and then connect it as if it was a first ever connection for the router.

As a test, you can always release the IP from the router, and then connect a computer directly to the ONT, bypassing the router. Then see if your connection remains stable or not. If so, the disconnects are something to do with the router. If not then you know its the ethernet cable or the ONT/Network.

Re: Using Netgear WNDR3700 router directly with Verizon FIOS - any advvice?
mystiky
Enthusiast - Level 1

<<

Now for your disconnects. Do you know if your router was dropping the connection to the outside, or dropping the connection to you computer? If to the outside, I would double check the ethernet cable from the ONT to the router. Make sure all the connections are secure and seated properly. Also when you installed your router, you reset it first so that you were starting with a fresh router connection right? If not, I would reset the router to factory, and then connect it as if it was a first ever connection for the router.

As a test, you can always release the IP from the router, and then connect a computer directly to the ONT, bypassing the router. Then see if your connection remains stable or not. If so, the disconnects are something to do with the router. If not then you know its the ethernet cable or the ONT/Network.>>

That's a great idea to know about if I need further testing.   I must admit that during the last 40+ hours, there have been no disconnets at all.   And the one I witnessed myself then was for about 20-30 seconds (I saw Skype go from Green to Grey, got all the pop-ups from my java applets telling me there was disconnect), and then it auto reconnected by itself.   

Thanks for the input.

0 Likes