Using new different Fios router has connecting to internet problems?
darklunar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I currently am using MI424WR-GEN2 and wanted to use this one I had recently ordered: MI424WR Rev 1

When I disconnected my current one and plugged into the new router for some reason it could not make the connection to internet. The internet icon was blinking amber. Should it just pick up the new router and work? Or would I need to contact Verizon and give them the MAC address so it would work?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using new different Fios router has connecting to internet problems?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Have you tried releasing the DHCP lease from your old router? This may be whats holding up your transition.

To release the DHCP lease on the old actiontec router, you'll need to login to the web panel.

1. Click My Network
  2. Click "Network Connections" tab on left
  3. Click "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)"

After you've clicked Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax), click "Settings"

Now, on the next page, look for the "DHCP Lease" section (should be near the middle). Click the Release button.

Now, unplug the old router, plug in the new one, and test connectivity.

If this does not work, I would suggest a reboot of your ONT box.

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Have you tried releasing the DHCP lease from your old router? This may be whats holding up your transition.

To release the DHCP lease on the old actiontec router, you'll need to login to the web panel.

1. Click My Network
  2. Click "Network Connections" tab on left
  3. Click "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)"

After you've clicked Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax), click "Settings"

Now, on the next page, look for the "DHCP Lease" section (should be near the middle). Click the Release button.

Now, unplug the old router, plug in the new one, and test connectivity.

If this does not work, I would suggest a reboot of your ONT box.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@darklunar wrote:

Hello,

I currently am using MI424WR-GEN2 and wanted to use this one I had recently ordered: MI424WR Rev 1

When I disconnected my current one and plugged into the new router for some reason it could not make the connection to internet. The internet icon was blinking amber. Should it just pick up the new router and work? Or would I need to contact Verizon and give them the MAC address so it would work?

Thanks!

Disconnect the old router and wait at least 2 hours before connecting the new router - this will give time for your dhcp lease to be released.

Else you can do it yourself manually as Justin's post presumably describes - I can't see the pictures, yet

darklunar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much! That did the trick!

0 Likes