Using Nighthawk X10
Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay I am new to Fios and am trying to learn the setup. I have 300/300 speeds, tv and home phone. I own the Nighthawk X10 router and want to use it instead of the quantum gateway I am currently renting from Verizon. After hours of work I finally got everything running properly but have one question that I hope someone can answer for me before I attempt trial and error. 

The way I have this set up is as follows. I have Ethernet from ont box directly to my internet port on the X10, coax run from ont to quantum gateway that was placed into bridge mode than I had to run an Ethernet cable from my X10 to the wan port on quantum (so all the cable boxes along with on demand would work). Now to my question. Do I need this quantum gateway or can I just buy a MoCa adapter and replace the quantum gateway all together? Anything special I would need to do to get it to work or just plug it in? Any advice would be great. Thank you all for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Nighthawk X10
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear you were able to setup your own router.

Yes, the process to replace the G1100 (Quantum Gateway) all together would be very easy. Any MoCA bridge deivce, and I would suggest: http://a.co/8apg1XI

All you need to do is transfer the coax from the Quantum Gateway to the Coax In input on the aciontec adapter, then plug an ethernet cable in from the adapter to a LAN port on your X10. Reboot the set top boxes, and make sure they have connectivity. 

Alternately, if you feel adventerous and have an old Aciontec MI424WR router laying around (the old Verizon routers), or if you pick one up for cheap (about $10-15 on Ebay), you can use these instructions to turn it into a MoCA adapter for half the price of the Aciontec router: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

View solution in original post

Oolyttle

I signed up for Verizon FiOS and it should be installed on the 18th. I also have a Nighthawk X10 that I'd like to use,

were you able to get rid of the Gateway router?

Is so would you mind describing the process

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Oolyttle wrote:

I signed up for Verizon FiOS and it should be installed on the 18th. I also have a Nighthawk X10 that I'd like to use,

were you able to get rid of the Gateway router?

Is so would you mind describing the process

Internet only? If so plug in the Netgear and make sure it on totally. Take the ethernet cable from the ont and place it in the WAN port on the Nighthawk.

after the router gets a dhcp allocation you should be up and running.

if using with TV and or phone look at this link here.https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

and this should get you up and running.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear you were able to setup your own router.

Yes, the process to replace the G1100 (Quantum Gateway) all together would be very easy. Any MoCA bridge deivce, and I would suggest: http://a.co/8apg1XI

All you need to do is transfer the coax from the Quantum Gateway to the Coax In input on the aciontec adapter, then plug an ethernet cable in from the adapter to a LAN port on your X10. Reboot the set top boxes, and make sure they have connectivity. 

Alternately, if you feel adventerous and have an old Aciontec MI424WR router laying around (the old Verizon routers), or if you pick one up for cheap (about $10-15 on Ebay), you can use these instructions to turn it into a MoCA adapter for half the price of the Aciontec router: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

Stellarspace
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have FiOS TV, you need the router that Verizon gives you. The Coax or Ethernet cable from the ONT box should go into the WAN port on the Verizon router. You can put other Ethernet cables into the Verizon router, but I suggest putting those Ethernet cables into the Nighthawk X10. The Nighthawk X10 needs to be connected to the Verizon router via an Ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports. Make sure you disable the Wireless radios on the Verizon router.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have FiOS TV, you can still use your own router, I'm doing it right now.

Connecting the Nighthawk X10 behind the Verizon router creates a double NAT-ed network, which will just give you more headaches down the road. 

As stated above, all you need for your FiOS TV to still work is a MoCA adapter. This is so the set top boxes have Internet access. 

Oolyttle

I've been using my Nighthawk X10 with a MoCA Bridge for about 5 months now and everything runs perfectly. I have full guide, video on demand, widgets, ect....

Doesn't seem like my set-top box receive updates though, I suspect that it has something to do with the ports that Verizon has open/forwarded on the quantum router.

Recently Verizon has introduced voice control through the Alexa app which I have not been able to get to work, again I think this is due to the ports that Verizon has forwarded on its original router, if anyone has any insights or is familiar with port forwarding I would appreciate the help

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you read the post at the top of this forum that talks about using your own router?

Oolyttle

Okay guys I was able to set up my Nighthawk X10 and MoCA Bridge on their own without losing any of my Verizon TV features, I've had everything functioning for the past day including Alexa voice control, widgets and  firmware updates..... 

1. I connected my cat 7 cable from the ONT to my Nighthawk.

2. I Connect the MoCA cable from my ONT to the input side of my Actiontec Bridge.

3. I connect a CAT 7 cable from my Nighthawk to the Actiontec Bridge.

4. I Connect a MoCA cable from the output on my Actiontec Bridge to my 5 Verizon STB.

5. Next I forwarded these ports on my Netgear router to my main STB 40501, 63145.

6. I click on port triggering in the same section and setup port UDP 1701 any.

I'm not an expert of at this I simply copied all the ports that was listed in my Verizon router, the ones I listed above were the only ones that Netgear didn't already have opened

0 Likes
Yncsss02

I am currently running my G1100 as the primary and my X10 as the secondary. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to switching my X10 to primary?

0 Likes