Using two ECB6250 from ONT to Router WAN working great but trouble with old ECB2200V
blazinsmokey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Above is my current layout (no tv or phone service) and I have done some research to get to this point. Here are the two main resources that helped me get here.

Solved: Bonded MoCA 2.0 with Gigabit plan and STBs - Verizon Fios Community

Solved: How to config G1100 for Actiontec ECB6250 - Page 2 - Verizon Fios Community

It actually all works great until I connect the red COAX. Before I get into that I do want to say speed and ping was excellent. This is totally an acceptable solution if you can't pull ethernet to your router from your ONT. I recently upgraded from 100Mbs to 200Mbs which is why I started this whole ordeal to future proof myself when I want even faster speeds. Below is the last test using Verizon speed test. Ping is 9ms in NY and I live outside of Philly. No idea why its reaching like 300Mbs but I'll take it.

imageimage

All I did was factory restored both ECB6250 and set the LOF to 1400.

1. Connect ECB6250 directly to my PC via ethernet
  2. Setting the PC IP4 settings to 192.168.144.2
  3. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
  4. Browse to 192.168.144.200
  5. Username = admin, Password=actiontec

My understanding from the two resource links was that FIOS runs 1000Mhz and 1150Mhz, for WAN and LAN on MoCA frequencies. So changing to 1400 would avoid the interference but I have no idea if the settings the other user changed can be done on mine. Here's a screen of what I changed that got me stable internet.

Hello World from the link above mentioned the below

• Access ECB6200 Configuration settings and change, as follows:
    RF Channel: 1400
    RF Band: Band D Hi
    RF Switch: Hi

After changing LOF to 1400 which I thought would be enough but I think something is still a miss to allow the G1100 MoCA network to be enabled. My previous failure was setting LOF to 1600(got this number from some Amazon review) and disabling D-EXT and D-LOW, that resulted in crazy intermittent internet,  just endless loop of connecting/disconnecting and very unresponsive when requesting. I can test other stuff when the wife goes to sleep but she was about to kill me so I stopped.

If anyone can help me out on this so I can still use my ECB2200 that would be great. Else I think maybe a better router is the only other option.

Here are the other settings pages in the ECB6250, I googled like mad but I couldn't find these anywhere online so maybe posting them here can build the knowledge base on these devices.

imageimageimageimage

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using two ECB6250 from ONT to Router WAN working great but trouble with old ECB2200V
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello again. I read some documents and it turns out the ECB2200 also scans the entire D band to locate channels by default as well. This means you need to disable channel scanning on ECB2200V as well.

ECB2200 does not have a web interface, but through a Windows desktop software. There is only the software for ECB2200C from Actiontec for the NCS versions. For ECB2200V, it is a Verizon version and Verizon might still have the software. If you felt it is really not worth the effort, the current replacement for ECB2200V is ECB5240M, costs around $60 including taxes and shipping.

View solution in original post

Re: Using two ECB6250 from ONT to Router WAN working great but trouble with old ECB2200V
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello there. I am taking a break so the responses will be slow.

Your MoCA case can be configured to work, but it cannot accommodate future speed improvements higher than 500/500.

The main idea is to establish two MoCA networks on the same coax line. One at the lower D band and another at the higher D band. G1100 is hard coded at 1150 MHz, which is D band Low, so the pair of ECB6250s need to be D band high.

To set it up, login into both ECB6250s and uncheck the D-Low box in the MoCA setup. Don’t adjust the LOF, which stands for Last Operating Freauency(?, I need to double check). For ECB2200, login and adjust the channel to D1 1150MHz. G1100 is hard coded to be 1150MHz, so it will find the ECB2200.

blazinsmokey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey thanks for the response, much appreciated.

On the future speed improvements, I was under the impression that the 2x ECB6250 would be on their own network and be able to provide up to 2.5Gbps from the ONT to the G1100 WAN. Then from the G1100 coax/MoCA connection the the ECB2200 would be ~170Mbps. Is this not correct?

After some further Googling, you are correct. LOF is Last Operating Frequency. Dumb of me to think it was LOwest Frequency. I found that on the GoCOAX forum. Also turns out the their 2.5 adapter and the ECB6250 have basically identical admin pages and settings.

Tmrw I will revert the LOF and disable the D-low band on the 6250s and get back to you. As well as check the ECB2200 are set for only D1 1150Mhz. I think you nailed it on the head. Thank you very much.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA adapters will be on the same physical network if they share a common coaxial cable medium.

To designate different MoCA adapters into separate link networks, they need to be on non-overlapping frequency channels. A majority of MoCA products can be only tuned to the extended D band, which is 1125-1675 MHz. Within this band, there are specific frequencies designated as channels. For example, D1 is 1150MHz, D2 is 1200 MHz, and so on. Each channel separates from others by 50MHz for MoCA 1.1, or, by 100MHz for MoCA 2.0 and 2.5, for the purpose of tuning.

ECB2200 is MoCA 1.1, so when it is set to D1, it would scan within 1150-1200MHz. G1100 LAN MoCA is unbonded 2.0. Since it is hard coded to D1, it would scan within 1150-1250MHz. So for the ECB6250's to be on a separate link layer network, they need to start scanning from 1300MHz (D4) to be safe from interfering with ECB2200:G1100 MoCA network. Since there is no option on the ECB6250's to use the D4 band as the first bonding channel, we can only resort to use the D-high channels, which starts from 1400MHz (D6). For MoCA 2.0/2.5, each channel has a width of 100MHz and a bandwidth of 500Mbps. The entire D-high and D-extend bands can only accommodate three channels, which are D6 1400MHz, D8 1500MHz, and D10 1600MHz, so the aggregated send and receive throughput will be capped at 500Mbps * 3 = 1500Mbps. My previous prediction of 500/500 (aggregate to 1000Mbps) throughput might be too narrow given my updated analysis.

Also, I believe you saw your speeds is 300Mbps despite only subscribed to 200Mbps. Verizon provisions 300Mbps for 200/200 subscription, 500Mbps for 400/400 subscription, and 1024Mbps for 940/880Mbps subscription.

blazinsmokey
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I disabled the D-Low band and no dice. Internet cuts off pretty quickly after I connect the coax back to the G1100. I don't have enough time today but maybe disabling both D-low and D-Ext would have been a better idea?

The information you gave me on frequencies was a huge insight and the new vocab I learned helped me find some more resources on some explanations of these settings.

IPLoC-User-Guide.pdf

DualGig2p5_quickstartUK_A5_V2.1.1.pdf

I started reading the above two links which apparently are for adapters just like the ECB6250. Hopefully I can find something else to change. Funny that LOF in one manual says Lowest frequency and the other Last operating frequency, in short I believe it just means that's where the adapters will start scanning to begin with to find other adapters.

In device settings there's also an option for Link Local automatic config, I wonder if that could help isolate it more from the G1100 MoCA network since it wouldn't be able to be assigned an IP? I think that is where it gets messed up. Thanks for all your help, thank the WiFi lords that the G1100 is just sufficient for upstairs to stream some content but it starts to really struggle with other stuff.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need D-ext to achieve 1500Mbps throughput on both ECB6250s. Don't disable that.

I would suggest you to leave the LOFs as 1400MHz on both ECB6250s. After you have connected the adapters, can you screenshot the MoCA status page?

blazinsmokey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to clarify "After you have connected the adapters" you mean after I adjust the settings while the adapters are connected directly to my computer? B/c I can't access them once they are at the ONT and WAN of the router.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You cannot access them once deployed into the coax network? Have you tried to access them using the same static IP?

You may want to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the ECB6250 feeding the G1100, and plug that Ethernet cable into a computer. As a general advice, when you are configuring MoCA adapters, only plug-in their respective coax cables and leave the Ethernet port for connecting to your computer for troubleshooting. This advice is applicable to G1100 and ECB2200 too.

While configuring, your Internet will be down unfortunately. To avoid extended "outages" for family members, I maintain home network well pass midnight and/or isolate the network to different segments to minimize affected devices.

blazinsmokey
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all thanks for going on this ridiculous journey with me. And sorry it's been a long process due to my time constraints on when I can work on this. I'm already losing sleep so %^!@#$!@#, you know what I'm saying. Here's some things I got to try and I have a decent window tomorrow so any ideas would be much appreciated.

I can reach the adapters no problem when I take the ethernet from the WAN of the G1100 and plug direct to my PC. I set them to different static IPs. Here's the device status page on that. They look identical except for their IP address. This is after setting them and not connecting the Coax to the G1100 or having my ECB2200V connected.

Now in this scenario the network MoCA version is 2.5. Beacon and Primary Channel are 1400 but secondary and first channel are not above 1400. This leads me to believe it's something to do with the Offset and Masks options(default below) which I have no idea how to go about trying to calculate/converting or setting.

Another thing I found out is my ECB2200V (Verizon branded) is unconfigurable through a web browser and I couldn't find software on it. All searching led me to the fact my device also doesn't have the built in switch for config/run. This may be the final straw here and we may need to move on if I can't change the freq of the ECB2200V?

I also tried these settings...

Test Case 03
Disable D-Low
Uncheck Network Search Enabled
Set LOF 1400
Set each device to different IP address

Internet cuts off but comes back but stays in a loop of on/off

The scenario above, I can reach both devices in their planned locations. They become part of the G1100 MoCA network, the ECB6250s device status page says the same EXCEPT that its MoCA network is 1.1. They also show up in the G1100's Lan Coax Status page.

I'm guessing if they do show up on the G1100 then it not being isolated and that is the reason for no internet. The star next to the Router makes it the network coordinator? Maybe the ECB2200V is causing issues as it tries to communicate with the 2x ECB6250?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Showing up in G1100's LAN Coax Stats means that the ECB6250s are not isolated.

How does your G1100 get the connection from the ONT? Still through Coax WAN? G1100's Coax WAN detects both 1000MHz and sometimes 1400MHz (strangely). I am wondering whether the 1400MHz detection is an issue.

If there is no administrative interface for ECB2200, it should be on D1 1150Mhz channel by default. ECB6250s are made by Actiontec. Let me see if I can contact their techs for help.