Verizon FIOS bandwidth problems
mclauge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have already optimized my PC. I find, especially in the evening hours that I can not play youtube videos. They either don't start or stop so many times it is not worth watching the video. At 35M/35M, I was expecting a little more service.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FIOS bandwidth problems
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a problem that is more or less on YouTube/Google's end to fix with their network and architecture, not so much a Verizon problem. This is despite the fact that many Verizon customers encounter issues. If you get great speeds elsewhere, especially to Metacafe or Vimeo then you're running well.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a problem that is more or less on YouTube/Google's end to fix with their network and architecture, not so much a Verizon problem. This is despite the fact that many Verizon customers encounter issues. If you get great speeds elsewhere, especially to Metacafe or Vimeo then you're running well.

pas_paa

If anyone thinks this is a problem with youtube, then just run a speed test (http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/) and you'll find that the speed varies like the wind blows. I agree with mclauge that it is especially bad in the evenings. Of course when calling Verizon tech support, they will not admit that it is a network problem, so you have to go through the same troubleshooting steps again and again and again.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@pas_paa wrote:

If anyone thinks this is a problem with youtube, then just run a speed test (http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/) and you'll find that the speed varies like the wind blows. I agree with @mclauge that it is especially bad in the evenings. Of course when calling Verizon tech support, they will not admit that it is a network problem, so you have to go through the same troubleshooting steps again and again and again.

I don't agree that this is a Verizon problem.

I have seen variations in download speeds from YouTube, NetFlix, and Amazon in the evening some days.  However, I assure you that if I run a test at the link you mentioned, or at www.speedtest.net, my results are always in excess of my 75/35 plan.  Always, as in 24/7/365.

I'm convinced that the problem we see at times with low bandwidth from streaming services is those providers' own servers not having the bandwidth to meet the growing demand for their product, and/or the failure of the Internet's main backbone to keep up with that kind of demand.

I can be experiencing very slow speeds from one of the streaming services mentioned and yet this is what I always get with a speedtest: 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3153478215.png

I think Smith6612's post marked as the answer earlier in this thread explains the situation correctly.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perfectly Happy with MY Service....not really into need for "blinding speeds"

Will keep updating my spreadsheet at different times and days for my own edification.

0 Likes