Verizon Fios installation techs are clueless
Pragmaticdesi

We had Fios installed two weeks ago and it's been a mess - no Internet in my home office, the wiring in the cable box is all messed up and Verizon overcharged me for the installation.

i am in a brand new house and the electrician, the home security company and the tv installation company all concur - Verizon has messed up big time!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios installation techs are clueless
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon typically verifies any STBs (if you have TV service and their STB) and router is functional before they leave.

Did they not do that?

Or is office Internet through wiring in the house? If so, Did Verizon run it or did it come with the house?

Verizon (like most other providers) will only take responsibility for work they did.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios installation techs are clueless
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon does not use a cable box. You did not say what services you are getting.

internet only? Internet & tv? Or internet, tv and phone. That would be good to say.

a Fios install is a relatively easy from the ONT to the router. Depending on where your router is located (Verizon installer will place it where you want if you treat them nicely) they then run ethernet to that router (either from outside ONT or inside ONT) and will test it for proper provisioning. Now if getting tv and if using their Quantum Gateway Router G1100 they run a coaxial cable from it to your set top boxs (stb) they test the guide etc. now if the router is located say in the basement they will use existing coaxial left over from previous service say from charter internet. This then requires them to run a portion of cable to the base where the coaxial cable branches out to different rooms.

this way it is a simple hook in to each tv stb.

if getting phone it is a separate rj45 ethernet going into the phone box if it is there already. If not they will install one for phone use. 

If you have people telling you Verizon is at fault you are totally mistaken. I would look at their work before the Verizon technicians. They do installs everyday.

If you placed a switch into the router you can place ethernet into as many rooms as the switch holds, or use the 4 LAN ports on the Quantum router and run or have someone run physical ethernet to the home office location. It is easy to do.

Lastly you could have purchased a Verizon network extender to get service in your office or other locations. It is a simple plug it into a power outlet and it grabs the signal from the router and you will be up and running in minutes.

Since I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 router I use a Netgear R6300 extender which for me was easy to set up and use. Once paired it can be unplugged and plugged in any place there is an electrical outlet.

So don't be so fast to blame the Verizon installer for a mess created by the electrician and others previously.

0 Likes