Verizon Fios no longer a viable option for video streaming
VladBoston
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a supporter of Verizon Fios for years.  I always told my friends that they were stupid not to have Fios if it was available in their area.  After trying all the service providers in my area, I chose Fios for their reliable internet and had no problem paying the premium price for it.  But over the last few months Fios has been a huge disappointment.  What bugs me the most is that Verizon won’t even acknowledge that they are throttling speeds.  They may work things out with Netflix and Youtube, but what about the other sites that provide video streaming?

Video streaming is very important to me and Fios is no longer a viable option for it.  If they are going to provide a mediocre internet service then they can no longer justify their high premium price for it.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios no longer a viable option for video streaming
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let's see if Netflix getting a dedicated pipe to Verizon helps to ease the pain everyone is seeing to many places. YouTube (and other Google services) has been good for a while, after Google and Verizon worked out an agreement to fix up performance with that site. If Netflix's traffic is going over Cogent and Level3, chances are once traffic shifts off of those networks and through the dedicated pipe, you'll see better latency and throughput. That is assuming Verizon's network doesn't get crushed in the short term from extra capacity being plugged into it. As a Tier 1 provider, that should never happen.

Sadly, it's hard to give a timeframe. Give it a few weeks for both Netflix and Verizon to work on getting the new connectivity up and running.

0 Likes
GreatDane20
Enthusiast - Level 2

VERIZON REPS PLS READ: Your service and management sucks dead donkeys. There is a supposed deal with Netflix and I still buffer every 2-5 mins at 50% pic quality. May a giant piano fall from the sky and crush Verizon mgt.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer forum.  Verizon reps don't respond to messages here, other than to escalate specific customer issues.

The deal with Netflix was just announced.  It will take some time to be rolled out across the FiOS networks.  Things like that don't happen overnight.  Weeks or months is the more likely time frame.

Enjoy.

0 Likes