Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway Router and Apple Time Capsule / Airport Express
dt19335
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway Router and Apple Time Capsule / Airport Express

I have seen many threads on this topic – what is the best way to use Apple Time Capsule / Apple Express (TC / AE) and Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway (QG) router?

First let me explain my setup. I have Verizon FIOS, with a Verizon Quantum Gateway Router, connected to the ONT via Ethernet. I have the 1 GB internet plan, plus FIOS TV. I don’t use Verizon Telephone services, but instead I use Vonage for telephone.

I have a basement, main floor and upstairs. I have signal strength issues with having one WiFi router on the main floor sending signals to the basement and upstairs.

We are an Apple heavy household – MacBooks, Apple TVs, iPhones, iPads, Mac Mini, Apple Watch, etc. I have an Apple Time Capsule on the main floor, I have an Apple Time Capsule upstairs extending the WiFi network, and I have an Apple Express in the basement extending the WiFi network. I have found that Apple devices seem to work better with Apple TC / AE.

I also have lots of other non-Apple devices and appliances. I probably have close to 50 networked devices in total.

Note: I use the Time Capsules for storage and Time Machine.  This is not factored in to any of the configurations, as they continue to work in all options. Same for my Vonage device.

I am not going to cover detailed how to steps, but more an overview of the configurations I have tried.

I have tested these various setups:

• Set the Verizon QG router as primary router with NAT and DHCP, and set the Apple TC / AE in bridge mode (no second NAT). Disable the WiFi in the Verizon QG router, and enable the WiFi in the Apple TC / AE (create and extend the Apple WiFi network).
    1. This will allow you to use the Apple WiFi and use TC / AE to extend the Apple WiFi.
    2. This will allow you to use the Verizon QG router Ethernet switch for other devices, as well as connect additional devices to the TC / AE, or add additional Ethernet switches to the network. Basically, one big network from the Verizon QG router.
    3. This will allow the MOCA / STB / TV menu, DVR and guides to function as normal.
    4. This will allow Verizon to properly support and troubleshoot your network, TV and Verizon QG router.
    5. This in theory is just as fast as any other option.

Note: You can keep the WiFi enabled in the Verizon QG router, as well as in the Apple TC / AE. It’s just that you cannot use Apple devices to extend Verizon QG router WiFi.

• Set the Verizon QG router as primary router with NAT, DHCP and optional WiFI, and set the Apple TC / AE also as a secondary router with NAT, DHCP and WiFi resulting in a double NAT. Set a static IP or static lease for the Apple TC / AE, and set that static IP to the DMZ of the Verizon QG router. This sends all traffic in/out from the Verizon QG router to the DMZ which is the Apple TC / AE.
    1. This requires that the Verizon QG router have a separate TCP/IP network than the Apple TC / AE devices.
    2. You use the DHCP and NAT from the Apple TC/ AE. This allows you to manage and control you Apple TC / AE network independent of the Verizon QC router.
    3. You can maintain two different Wi-Fi networks if wanted.
    4. In theory, there is a performance degradation of using double NAT.
    5. The Verizon router speed tests (https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx) do not function correctly if the Verizon QG router it setup with a DMZ. Also, Verizon cannot properly troubleshoot your network / Verizon QG router with DMZ enabled.
    6. This will allow the MOCA / STB / TV menu, DVR and guides to function as normal.
  • If you have Ethernet internet connection from the Verizon ONT, you connect directly to the Apple TC / AE, set the Apple TC / AE as the primary router for NAT, DHCP and WiFi. If you don’t have Verizon FIOS TV or Telephone Service, you can eliminate the Verizon QG router altogether.
    1. This results in you have an Apple TC / AE only NAT, DHCP and WiFi network.
    2. This allows you to use Apple TC / AE to extend your network.
    3. This in theory is just as fast as any other option, maybe fastest.
    4. This results in limited remote support from Verizon support as they rely on talking to the Verizon QG router for diagnostics.
  • If you have Ethernet internet connection from the Verizon ONT, you connect directly to the Apple TC /AE, set the Apple TC / AE as the primary router for NAT, DHCP and WiFi, and place the Verizon QG router behind the Apple TC / AE devices in a double NAT. Basically, the opposite of #2 above. This still allows for FIOS TV and Telephone, but you use the Apple TC / AE for NAT, DHCP, WiFi, and allows you to use Apple TC / AE to extend your network.
    1. This again requires two different networks, assignment of a static IP or a static lease for the Verizon QG router, and entering that into the Apple TC / AE DMZ.
    2. This in theory is just as fast as any other option, maybe fastest.

Which is best? This may be a matter of opinion depending on the end state goal. Speed? Ease of use? Supportability? Apple purist?

Personally, I think option #1 is the best because it’s the simplest. It provides full Verizon supportability and functionality, as well as allows you to use all the Apple TC / AE capabilities.  Your Apple devices are simple pass-through.

The rest of the options rely on above average networking knowledge and skills, and the benefits of these configurations are not worth that added complexity, and loss of Verizon supportability. It was fun figuring them out, setting them up, conducting speed tests, trying and testing … that resulted in a certain satisfaction of accomplishment, but for average home use … option #1 is the cleanest and simplest.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway Router and Apple Time Capsule / Airport Express
ling2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a dope, but I thought I would reply to maybe save someone else some time. After a great deal of fooling around for a few hours over the past few weeks, I finally went downstairs to look at the router. The ethernet cable was plugged into the WAN (White) connection, rather than a LAN (any of the four Yellow connections). Move the cable, problem solved.

View solution in original post

Re: Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway Router and Apple Time Capsule / Airport Express
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The solution you found first is indeed probably the easiest to configure, and since you put the Airport in bridge mode (not creating a 2nd NAT), this is preferable. (Most instructions have you create a double NAT for your personal LAN, which is a big no-no.)

However, and this is personaly opnion, I prefer to have my own router at the front of the Internet connection, so I'd personally suggest #4 where the time capsule is the main router and the Verizon router is used just to bridge MoCA connections to the TV set top boxes. Just a tip however, I've never had to put the Verizon router into a DMZ or even assign it a static address, simply plugging it into your LAN and allowing it to get DHCP is sufficient for the set top boxes to function properly. 

Regarding support when the FiOS router isn't the main, I haven't run into any problems. Yes, Verizon support won't assist you with LAN issues, but they don't drop support entirely. There have been some rumors going around on the Internet that Verizon drops support entirely which isn't true. They just can't assist with issues that occur behind your LAN (which, if you are savvy enough to use your own router, you most likely won't have any).

Awesome instructions, thanks for posting! 

dt19335
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree - if you're tech savy enough to do #2, 3 or 4 .. then you probably won't face issues 🙂  #1 is the easiest / simplest and provides full verison supportability / remote support, etc.

I have settled on the the configuration #2.  Verizon router primary, with a staic addres for my Apple router.  I have put that static address into the DMZ.  I disable WiFi from Verizon router, and use the Apple router with the static address for NAT, DHCP and WiFi, and the other apple devices as WiFi access points / wifi extensions, and Time Capsules / Time Machines. 

Under this setup I am using Apple only devices. Yes, it's double NAT, but using the DMZ mitigates any issues with double NAT.

I have found that on all my various speed tests - this setup gives me ~850 down / ~ 900 up.

0 Likes
ling2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a similar problem. I just upgraded to Quantum and got a new router. Previously, I had the Actiontec router in my basement. I connected to an Apple Time Machine (3TB) on the third floor via ethernet. I had the TM set to create a new network with the same name and password as the basement router. The TM was set to get its address via DHCP and was set with the router off/bridge mode. It worked perfectly. Since connecting the new router, it does not work. The TM does not get an address via DHCP. I have tried setting a static address on the TM and on the Quantum router. No joy. I am out of ideas. I have read the manual and it doesn't seem to address this situation. 

0 Likes
ling2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a dope, but I thought I would reply to maybe save someone else some time. After a great deal of fooling around for a few hours over the past few weeks, I finally went downstairs to look at the router. The ethernet cable was plugged into the WAN (White) connection, rather than a LAN (any of the four Yellow connections). Move the cable, problem solved.

SKram1954

This was VERY helpful. One follow up request. Can you post or direct me to where I can find the Step by step for your first Option? I think that would  best suit my needs and knowledge level. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes