Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
TheHangingJudge
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you provisioned for Ethernet or Coax connection to the ONT?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure. Never really looked at whats coming into it. It's a new house and FiOS was installed in Dec 2013 so whatever they were doing then is what I have. I think its probably coax. I'm fairly certain I have coax connected to the router's WAN port. Again though, not 100% certain. I haven't looked behind the router in a year.

0 Likes
TheHangingJudge
Enthusiast - Level 3

Click on My Network

Network connections

Broadband Connection

If you are using Ethernet it should say Coax channel:  Cable Disconnected

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

It says "coax channel: 1000 mhz". Guess it's coax.

0 Likes
TheHangingJudge
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Chuckh1958 wrote:

That makes it easier.  No need to change it.  It may just read 10 half by default when not connected.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

chaybee1:Believe me, I don't think your wireless devices are to blame.

I haven't added any new devices in the past six months either. The only new thing I've added is the router, which clearly can't handle the devices that its older predecessor (the Rev. D) could. 

0 Likes
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No doubt, g00py.  Trust me,  we have been on here since day one so I know you're just always trying to help out.  I changed the settings for IGMP so we shall see.  

I've mentioned before that I am not techy at all when it comes to this (I'm an a/v guy) so I'm wondering - what are the alternatives to getting an internet provider separate from Verizon.  Are there local companies that can just come hook you up or do you have to go with the major providers (Verizon, Cox, Comcast, etc..)?  Just curious and sorry if this is a dumb question,  but if this maintains an ongoing "We're working on it" for 5 more months, then I'm leaving VZ.  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TheHangingJudge wrote:

@Chuckh1958 wrote:

That makes it easier.  No need to change it.  It may just read 10 half by default when not connected.

This is correct. All Ethernet devices will maintain a default link of 10Mbps Half Duplex until negotiation occurs. This is done both to save power, and as a case of reliability. It's less difficult to make a 10Mbps Half Duplex link, than it is to make a Gigabit (Full Duplex only) connection right off the bat.

If you have a managed switch, or look at your ActionTec while a PC is booting or first negotiating a link, you'll find the same 10Mbps Half Duplex reading.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

>I've mentioned before that I am not techy at all when it comes to this (I'm an a/v guy) so I'm wondering - what are the >alternatives to getting an internet provider separate from Verizon.  Are there local companies that can just come hook you up >or do you have to go with the major providers (Verizon, Cox, Comcast, etc..)?  Just curious and sorry if this is a dumb >question,  but if this maintains an ongoing "We're working on it" for 5 more months, then I'm leaving VZ.  

Well, really depends upon what kind of service you want. If you want a fiber optic alternative to Verizon, I'd look into AT&T U-verse or Qwest, but availability will depend upon where you live.

There's cable broadband too like Comcast. It's generally more widely available than fiber, but I'm not sure it'll give you the speed/performance that fiber would. Still, it's probably your best bet if you can't find another company that offers fiber.

If you want a local company, DSL might be your only option. But it won't be as fast as fiber or cable and, besides, it's DSL.

Personally, I sorta feel like Verizon has me between a proverbial rock and a hard place. Comcast is really the only other company I would consider and, jeez, I've had nothing but problems with them in the past.

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

48 hours with no reboots. I was streaming a lot of youtube videos over the blue-ray player last night too with no lag or interruptions. I'm getting close to declaring victory.

I'm curious if anyone else tried the hidden IGMP setting and experienced a self reboot of the router since changing it?

0 Likes