Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

We're primarily Rev. I users here. If you saw router settings change on their own, it sounds like Verizon may have pushed out an update. First thing I would do is put everything back the way it was, assuming you can figure what's been changed.

In lieu of that, I would call Verizon support and escalate directly to tier 3. They'll probably follow a resolution path similar to what's been described here by many, many users.

And, no, none of us have definitively resolved the problem with the Rev. I, although some claim success through minor tweaks and by swapping out the router entirely.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

Next up -- set up an older router as the primary with wireless off and the the Rev. I as a MoCA bridge with wireless on. I'll let everyone know the long term results.

Short term, it's been running as a bridge for almost 20 hours with no reboots. Provisioning over coax and DHCP are off. 

0 Likes
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was at 41 hours this morning without a reboot.  Interesting because I had mentioned earlier that in the past week it had been rebooting much more frequently than before.  That is when i decided to turn off the IGMP.  I'm wondering if VZ was working on pushing someting out which resulted in the reboots every 5-10 hours as opposed to my normal 12-40 or if the IGMP actually helped.  Either way, the real test is the next day or two.

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

72 hours and counting. Whatever fixed it  whether it was messing with the IGMP proxy setting on the orphaned page, or something VZ did, my "I" revision router is no longer taking a dump every couple of hours. I'm happy.

0 Likes
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

try replacing the router. everyone here is having trouble with the new firmware.

0 Likes
ohmyggg

@ohmyggg wrote:

Hmm, it's been a number of days (nearing a week, I think) for me without any connection drops or reboots.

I didn't do much except for change my router settings to use a new wireless channel and I also removed a couple of entries in my DNS Server and/or DHCP Connection tables (can't remember which one I messed with). 

I didn't expect this to have any impact, and since I wasn't getting any drops with my Chromecast still plugged in (which Verizon was suspecting was the cause of my issue), I never unplugged my Chromecast either.

Maybe Verizon did something on their end?

Guess I spoke too soon yesterday. I just had my first connection drop in 6 days. According to the router status, it rebooted, but when I looked at the lights, it appeared to stay up and running the whole time.

I lost connection for about 1 minute and from my router logs, I can't identify what caused it to occur. Unlike last time, when it was pointing to my Chromecast making a connection prior to the reboot, this reboot looks like a completely random event.   

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried contacting Actiontec support? I've had no luck with them myself, but just wondering if anyone has.

0 Likes
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Been up 52 hours since the last reboot.  World freaking record for me.  

0 Likes
TheHangingJudge
Enthusiast - Level 3
195 hours for me. Which is the longest it's been since this started happening. Just to reiterate I didn't change anything.
0 Likes
FatherMadman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Warning large lengthy wall of text that is about the same story as everyone else on this thread and many other threads.

Wow what a read this thread was.... Now I dont feel so alone out there with my troubles.

Part 1 (Prelude and FIller for people who like to read about other peoples misfortunes but dont like to watch the Bravo channel... Hope the wife doesnt read this...)

Upgraded to Quantum speed of 75/35 from 50/25 (at current location) but been a fios customer for years in three location in the Northern VA area. Longest is the current location I am at now. Never had much issues with the service until after I upgraded to Quantum.

July/August 2012 COAX run for router completely replaced by powers that be driving vans.. Signal tested (test passed with flying colors!!) Internet issues were still there and a lot of packet loss according to level 2/3

Oct 2012 Actiontec Router replaced (unknown revision of red band horridness...) Powers that be replaced splitters and more signal tests (test passed again with flying colors) Internet issues were still there and a lot of packet loss according to level 2/3

Oct/Nov 2012 CS had me check all the COAX connections by loosening them and tightening them (I think they were laughing at me while I was doing this while they were on the phone with me...) Internet issues were still there and a lot of packet loss according to level 2/3

Nov 2012 ONT replaced (virtual config/connection rebuilt along with phone config rebuilt) This fixed signal tearing and pixelation and poor internet reliability through FiOS

Dec 2012/Jan 2013 Router replaced (after CS had me reset the thing countless times) Poor internet reliability again through FiOS

Things died down a little and I thought all was well, TV/VOD/DVR Multi room streaming/InterWebz was all working perfectly. Unknowingly the powers that be saw fit to ruin that for my household..

Part 2

Apr 2013

So my story resumes in Apr 2013 while I was in some online training for work that I was was authorized to do at home. 5 9 hour days of online class... Then what start happening any STB VOD chosen SD or HD movie or tv show would cause the screen to get a pink overlay and the STB would reboot/reset itself in every room in the house (All Cisco 1 DVR and 3 STB) so I did want any tech would do try and make it happen again. I was able to repeatedly and so I did the next thing call CS and listen to horrible tourturous hold music as I waited to have all kind of mudane steps to do. Well come to find out around that timeframe the powers that be in all their awesome glory rolled out an update to the Cisco DVR/STB devices at the house. So tech was dispatched out and this is when the fun began.

Tech 1 was dispatched and could reproduce the issue what so ever. Reseting the ONT as the powers that be couldn't connect to it or the router with their special tools when on the phone with them before and after this tech showed up.

Tech 2 was dispatched about a week later and replaced my son's STB in his room with one of equal or lesser value along with replacing my router yet again with the same device that they think is the most awesome thing in the world.. No no no it isnt awesome my 7+ year old Link running DDWRT is better than this thing. So he got angry cause I didnt like the router and it should be thrown into an active volcano with all of its clones.

May 2013

Same as above but now router just stops routing and the packets collide and then the wife and kids look at me the rabbit and snake is looking at me and the cats are asleep. So I go and power cycle the thing called a router and internet is back up after it takes I swear 10 minutes plus a random 3-9 extra minutes to do its power check and then initialize everything. Called CS after the 3 or 4 days of this and I bet you can guess after they made me do all their silly mudane useless steps that I told them i already did, then had another tech come out.

Now while waiting a few days for the tech to come out wonderful and interesting things are afoot. VOD still causes the screen to turn a shade of pink and then the STB reboots and then it makes all the other STB?DVR devices reboot on the network. If you load up the FiOS apps on your Android smartphone and tablet and try to use them like the remote control or DVR functions it will make the DVR/STB reboot. So I call the powers that be yet again. The person on the other end of the phone told me that all of this and current/previous issues are all being caused because I am using HDMI cables to connect my DVR/STB devices to my flatscreen tvs... I should be using component cables as they dont interfere with the signal like HDMI cables do they are causing the DVR/STB devices to error out and cause havok on themselves and all the other FiOS equipment. Now I went through many different stages of denial, anger, rage, insane fits of laughter, and then lastly I just asked if I could speak with the person in his department that was assigned the brain for the day. I had it, he actually believed what he told me and said he had documentation and person proof to back this. I asked for said documentation but it was "internal" and I didnt have the rights to see it. I called his bluff and asked for a supervisor and that his time of assisting me is done. I get said supervisor gave him the Readers Digest condensed version of the current issue and all back issues. He asked me what I wanted and I said I want working server that I pay a nice hefty monthly fee for. So he tries to access the ONT/router and he couldn't so I went and pulled the power/battery cable from the ONT after I unplugged the router, waited 5 minutes then plugged in the power/battery back to the ONT. Next powered up the router and low and behold they could access the roiter but not the ONT.
 But now VOD worked for 7/8 of a movie on the DVR (HD of the remake of Conan.. Dont judge was the first on the list for testing from a premium channel.) and then a few minutes later was on the phone again. Notes were aledgedly made and I was told to wait for the tech.

Tech shows up and I was able to reproduce the VOD issue along with the internet issue. He calls this super secret special number from his clamshell work phone while clicky clicky movement on his work BB and then starts talking and punching in complex secret patterns on his tablet while juggling the remote to the DVR. MOCA info shows up on the DVR screen and all is showing perfect numbers. He does the same to all the other STB devices and walks back and forth while talking to the super secret agent on the phone. Next thing that happens the router resets, the screens pixelate, and the ONT battery shirps. He replaces the battery on the ONT waits for everything else to come back up and then no problems could be reproduced and signal quaility and MOCA numbers were the best he has ever seen as a tech while working for the powers that be.

June 2013

VOD is still borked, router still resets, I am tired of calling and show wife the IT old step of power cycling to fix what can never be broken.. Still call one more time, powers that be is reading and repeats quotes here and there of said notes while asking me questions. puts me on hold and then comes back and ask for permission to be joined into a confrence call. Confrence call proceeds and I am asked all types of questions and am asked to perform tasks on a computer directly connected to ugly red router of uselessness while they are looking at logs remotely. So now as that is going on I see the router start blinking in ways I have never seen even when downloading large ISO files from MS, Symantec, or games from Steam when on my laptop. While happening I was asked to try to initate a few other heavy bandwidth intensive tasks from other devices so I started a download from a PS3 and started a movie stream from a roku, and then asked the wife to stream music from a tablet and her phone while connected to WiFi. Then while all that was happening I was asked to start a VOD movie in HD on one STB and one SD movie on another STB. I did all of this and in less than 90 seconds all went down from the pink overlay reset the STB issue from above and then the router reset itself. After the a tech was scheduled for dispatch.

Tech comes out asked some questions, replaces router and said STB devices, but not DVR... Too many unwatched shows on their (mainly the wifes and I wanted to live past that day). All of this was done, was still able to reprodice issues even with DVR not powered on or connected to network via COAX. This tech is awed by this issue and he and I talk some, he knows of all the techs who have been at my house and was even said wow even the super tech guy was here that is sent out when issues arent resolved by normal techs. He then excuses himself and calls his manager. His manager gets info and asks if they can call me back after next week cause they have important save the packets from the nothing to make customers happy again. I said sure. So I get a call back, I am told that others in my area are having this issue and gasp it's a know issue with cisco devices and that they can switch me out with the Moto devices, but they are known to have the issue but it is more random. He then went to tell me this issue is getting escalated to corporate so they can get a visual on it and see how widespread it is.

So now here I am tonight after reading writing this wall of text and everything is as horrible and then some with this issue. VOD doesnt work still, cant use any of the FiOS apps while connected to the WiFi at the house in fear of it angering the DVR/STB devices. I can download at really fast speeds, remote into work with little to no lag, play multiplayer games on laptops and range of consoles, lets the kids stream movies from netflix on their devices or TV in the house all with a point of knowing that router is going to reboot randomly throughout the day when you think it wouldnt that router couldn't do anything to lower itself, then reboots itself 3-5 times while the wife is logged into blackboard and is doing school.

Through all of this they have tried to tell me I have too many things on my network and that it is overloading the router. I retort and say well the Cisco Linksys E4200 wireless router has no issues handling all of them but because of you I took it off the network and added everyting to the ugly red usless router and to top it off it has made it worse.

I have also read that this usesless router has a very tiny cache for NAT and that could be the issue. But I have ensured everything was disconnected but the DVR/STB devices, reset the ugly red usless router and let it sit there. Guess what it still rebooted itself multiple times through out the day, and the VOD issue still happens. Now remove the DVR/STB from the equation by removing the coax and also power from devices it still happens. Remove all extra coax and all splitters and connect useless router to ONT and it still happens.

So all in all this issue was caused somehow by the people that brought us all FiOS by some combination of firmware updates to the router, DVR, STB, ONT, and lastly the Quantum upgrade.

I say all of this cause before the quantum upgrade the most I every had to say about the FiOS service was the screen tearing and pixelation of HD content I had from time to time at the first two places I lived in Northern VA where they used the Motorola DVR/STB devices and still used the ugly red uesless router that wasnt so useless then. When we moved to our current location which was provisioned with Cisco DVR/STB didnt have any issues excpet for the occasional tearing/pixelation of HD content and Disney XD (SD quality) until the Quantum upgrade.

I am now debating what to do as I'm still in contract and I despise comcast and their silly bandwith quota and poor service. I like FiOS even with its problems cause the speed is awesome and even with all the bills and whistles it is about 40-60 less than comcast a month.

I am tired of the useless support and same support pattern they have. I dont need scripted support, your scripted support matrix cant help us that are having this issue.

V/R

FatherMadman