Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
bushleaguer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the documentation of what you've gone though with this, FatherMadman.......I was considering calling again next week but I really don't know what that would accomplish at this point.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
bushleaguer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I ask a question for those who are tech-savvy......I currently have the quantum 75/35 service with this nightmare of a router.

If I downgrade to one of the older routers, I will be unable to receive the 75/35 service as those older routers are not set up for it, yes? (I'm sure there is a more technical way to put that but I'm a novice).

Thanks for the help as this is driving me nuts.

0 Likes
TheHangingJudge
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bushleaguer wrote:

Can I ask a question for those who are tech-savvy......I currently have the quantum 75/35 service with this nightmare of a router.

If I downgrade to one of the older routers, I will be unable to receive the 75/35 service as those older routers are not set up for it, yes? (I'm sure there is a more technical way to put that but I'm a novice).

The older routers are neither wireless 802.11N nor gigabit.  As for 75/35 speeds, yes if you are wired to the router, no if you are wireless.  On the wireless side, the router is only 802.11G which has a top speed of 54mb/s vs. the 802.11N which on this router is 130/144mb/s.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bushleaguer wrote:

Have your router provisioning changed to ethernet and then procure your own gigabit/wireless-n router and make it the gateway router rather than the verizon one.

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, so I change the hidden IGMP proxy setting back to "enabled" and within 12 hours my router started rebooting again. I have changed it back to "disabled". Lets see if it stays up again.

0 Likes
g00py
Contributor - Level 1

My Rev. I has been functioning well as a bridge for almost 50 hours. That's absolutely the longest period of time I've gone without a reboot in the past six months. 

So, here's what I recommend for those who continue to have problems despite the range of tweaks -- IGMP off, UPnP off, etc.--we've suggested here. Note: This is not a solution. It's a stopgap until such time (if ever) Verizon releases a more stable firmware build. I chose this path since I didn't want to provision over ethernet or spend my own money on a third-party router.

1) Use an older router (ideally the Rev. F) as your primary. If you have don't have one readily accessible, request one from Verizon. If you want to continue to use the Rev. I's superior wireless speeds, tell them you want to keep it. And above all, don't agree to pay a single dime more than what you're already paying. Verizon should do all of this for free to ensure your network is reliable.

2) After you've hooked up the older router as your primary, disable DHCP and broadband via coax on the Rev. I. Then, assign a static IP to it and hook the router up to an unused coax port somewhere in your house. Turn wireless on if you want to use wireless N and enjoy! If you decide to use wireless on your primary router as well, make you sure you assign a static channel to each so there are no conflicts. (The Rev. F, by the way, has draft wireless N and while it won't give you speeds as fast as "true" wireless N, it might give you better performance than wireless G. So, feel free to tinker and use whatever wireless config works best in your home.)

Like I mentioned above, my Rev. I seems to working fine after I relegated it to a bridge. Plus, I moved it to a more central location, so wireless is even more effective now than ever before. I'm still not happy I can't use the Rev. I as my primary, but I really didn't have a choice.

Of course, you can also try the many, many router tweaks listed in this thread, but they don't always seem to work...at least not for everyone.

For more information on setting up the Rev. I as a bridge, go here and, assuming your configuration is the same as mine, start with step #2: https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/15984

You could also, as an alternative, simply hook the Rev. I up to your primary using ethernet. I chose to use it as a bridge in an entirely different room so I could hardwire a range of components (A/V receiver, Xbox, blu-ray player, etc.) to it.

As a sidenote, it's interesting that the chronically unstable Rev. I finally seems to work after scaling it back to a bridge, but I have no idea what that actually means. All I know is, it's finally stopped rebooting itself after almost half a year.

0 Likes
chaybee1
Enthusiast - Level 3

56 hours this morning with no reboot after having turned off the IGMP.  I haven't had it up this long for 5 months.  Either this IGMP did something or VZ rolled out someting without us knowing (I have all Cisco STB's btw).   "Chuck1958" - keep us updated, I'm curious of your results because if it stays up long again,  it's gotta be the IGMP unless you too have all Cisco STB's and VZ has done someting.  

0 Likes
bushleaguer
Enthusiast - Level 3

@TheHangingJudge wrote:

@bushleaguer wrote:

The older routers are neither wireless 802.11N nor gigabit.  As for 75/35 speeds, yes if you are wired to the router, no if you are wireless.  On the wireless side, the router is only 802.11G which has a top speed of 54mb/s vs. the 802.11N which on this router is 130/144mb/s.

Yeah, that's what I figured but wasn't sure.....thanks.

0 Likes
bushleaguer
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@bushleaguer wrote:

Have your router provisioning changed to ethernet and then procure your own gigabit/wireless-n router and make it the gateway router rather than the verizon one.

Well, I'm not tech savvy so I would probably spend weeks trying to figure that out (although it's probably not that difficult).

Plus, since I paid $80 to upgrade to this current router I'm inclined to give Verizon some more time to rectify the problem before I lay out more $$ with a workaround. How much time I don't know.......so in the meantime I'll do some research online as to the procedure you're talking about.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Likes
FatherMadman
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I called today just to start the ball rolling yet again since my last call to them when I gave up a few months ago.

The rep I talked to was completely useless and all he could do was tell me he saw errors and he is going to schedule a tech to come out. In the meantime yet nothing else will be done and I seriously felt the tech was indifferent to the issue ant problems going on with my service.

I have a service technician coming out tomorrow to check the ONT and router.... Replacement eleventybillion....

0 Likes