Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
TexasRanger1

For the past 3 weeks we have had constant dropping of connection and wi-fi unable to connect to the internet.  Multiple calls, new router, new technology of their latest extender to boost signal (WCB300N), tried all the channels...little to no improvement.  Tech says to wait until the fall when the new improved AC technology routers come out.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I Issue - Dropped Connections - Constant Reboots
EnJayAre

Suddenly, (past 2 weeks) my connection drops and i have to manually shut off modem and turn back on.  In addition, while watching internet movies (amazon, netflix) movie stops, i have to back out of the app and re connect the modem.  TV settings indicate that i have no internet connection.  Happens 20 times during a movie!

0 Likes
clemsongrad

Folks,

I had identical issues with the actiontec router.  

I spend lot of time with customer support and sadly got no where.  Reboot/unplug/truckroll etc.  Not really going anywhere.

So i unplugged all and kept one device and monitored the router log, to see what gets logged when the connection is dropped.  Sure enough i saw several log related to DHCP renewal.  so i changed the DHCP on the client side to use the static IP.  

From then on, the connection (wifi) part has been stable.  I am slowly adding all the devices back with static IP.  

All in all, i feel this whole experience troubleshooting with FIOS have been very frustrating and the technicians seem to lack of any good understanding of the wireless basics.  

So far so good..  I plan on replacing the actiontec wifi with my own AP and shut the wifi off.  In the long run i think that is the best alternative.

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow connection with Actiontec MI424-WR Revision i (GigE)
mcollins2

I have this exact same issue; were you able to find a solution?  I've tried getting a new router (Verizon sent another MI424-WR Rev I) and it's still occuring.  I find I have to reboot the router at least daily, sometimes more. 

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow connection with Actiontec MI424-WR Revision i (GigE)
Hubrisnxs
Legend

for those who's problem is wifi specific, Verizon built a tool inside of it's in home agent, that will automatically scan, and detect wireless interference and automates the process for changing wireless channels in an attempt to avoid the interference.  

Rebooting the BHR does this as well.  Upon a boot, the router does a wifi scan and automatically drops onto the channel with the least interference, but it doesn't do that actively and in real time.  It only does that on a reboot.

www.verizon.com/connect

0 Likes
Morningmist
I have been having same issues since receiving new router / modem from Verizon. Rebooting once a week. The problem seemed to start when we introduced a "smart tv" into the mix. But this could be a coincidence since we received router a month or so before hand. It appears that buying a new router / modem from best buy will not solve issue. Is this correct?
0 Likes
Virtualwatts
I am trolling for an answer to a different problem but found this interesting thread.

I have had the gen3 Rev I since the day they were avail for resale in our area, and since day 1 has only been a moca bridge. My Cisco 3000 is primary router with cat6 to the ONT. I have all features but mydvr and caller id. The Rev I router is behind firewall and has no internet access, therefore I never ever get firmware updates. My router ran on a ups for 14 months without a reboot. Never a problem.

On a rainy Saturday last Sept I took a notion to manually update firmware and since that update have been broken. Specifically VOD stops and starts, dies, lose access for guide. Short story long I had a great tech out finally, he confirmed I knew more about tech than he did, then PTT a Verizon business service tech -
Fios business service tech said Verizon is pushing firmware updates out to prevent bridging because new router by Verizon is out in January.
Our fix was to pull the oldest router on his truck and swap, I'm now back to 40.20.7. I still have the VOD problem but stable router, been up 345 hours straight.
0 Likes
magicel

Same problem too.  On 3rd router since started service in July 2014 and constantly have to call tech services to reset entire system. Ha, signed up for 2 year program which locks me into a contract to pay for service which Veriizon does not seem to have to comply.  Extremely frustrating!

0 Likes
TXbrian

I finally called Verizon again, and after spending about 45 minutes on the phone trying to convince the support guy that the problem was *not* on the wireless side, he decided to send out a tech.  The tech came out the next day, asked me about the symptoms, spent about a minute with the router, and then headed to the ONT.  He took one look at it and said it needed to be moved because it was too close to our electric service "smart" meter.  He said the meter and the ONT operate on the same RF frequency and are supposed to be a minimum of 12" apart.  He said it didn't look like anything was wrong with the ONT, but he decided to put in a new one.   It's now inside the garage, just on the other side of the wall from where it was, but he said that should be far enough.  I don't know if it is the new location or the new ONT itself, but that was 10 days ago, and we haven't had a connection drop or a reboot ever since.  

0 Likes
wsfrazier3

Has anyone upgraded their actiontec to the new Greenwave G1100 Quantum gateway, and noticed if that resolved all the drops and reboots? Thinking about upgrading, but not sure if I want to pay the 199.99. You would think Verizon would upgrade for free considering all the connections issues, but I'm sure that will never happen.

0 Likes