Verizon + Gmail = problems
Evil_underlord

Since switching to Verizon, I've found multiple issues trying to use Gmail. These problems did not occur with Comcast or Charter, and do not occur on networks outside Verizon's FIOS service.

I'm guessing Verizon has a firewall issue somewhere. Using Thunderbird to connect to Gmail takes 2-3 times as long as it did with Comcast and Charter - with the same exact setup: same laptops, same router. In fact, I couldn't send e-mail at all until I increased the timeout setting dramatically. My wife hasn't even been able to setup her Gmail account with Outlook 2016 at all.

Again, the only change is the ISP, and it seems to be related to slow processing/timeout. We've talked to Verizon, whose only response has been "It's not us" - though, again, they are the only part of the setup that's new.

Any ideas on how to get at this?

PS This a post about Gmail and Verizon, not about Verizon's own e-mail.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon + Gmail = problems
jonjones1
Legend

You mean your using gmail on the Mozilla Thunderbird stand alone client?

or that you are using it through the Firefox browser?

gmail is best accessed through the Google browser. In fact the gmail on the browser also supports multiple email accounts. Much like thunderbird mail client.

i use multiple email accounts both as stand alone installs (Opera) and Yahoo, Gmail web based and as a stand alone app. I had no problems on cable internet and zero problems on Fios broadband.

my guess is maybe if you deinstalled and then reinstall the program it may clean up on the new install. But that is a if.

I would use the web version or the app to access your gmail. 

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google has been great for me no problems with any of its programs.

It's my default browser.

Worth looking into.

https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en

My PC OS is windows 10

also get my gmail on iPhone and iPad.... iOS 10.3.3  up to date

Evil_underlord

I'm using Gmail via a desktop client - Thunderbird.

I appreciate the thought, but handling half a dozen accounts with the Gmail website is awkward at best, and in any case, I dislike the Gmail interface. I shouldn't have to change may whole approach to e-mail just because of my ISP.

0 Likes
Evil_underlord

Thanks, but it's not my browser that's the problem.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Evil_underlord wrote:

I'm using Gmail via a desktop client - Thunderbird.

I appreciate the thought, but handling half a dozen accounts with the Gmail website is awkward at best, and in any case, I dislike the Gmail interface. I shouldn't have to change may whole approach to e-mail just because of my ISP.

Although I am not saying to change anything unless it's absolutely necessary.

many isp's have hardware and software that just is wonky. 

Please see the attached link that may assist in your endeavors. 

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Just found this site. This may help. I am trying 😀

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1162290

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't used GMAIL via Thunderbird (I do for my Verizon email on AOL server with no problems).

I do use gmail app on my android devices and have no issues at all.

0 Likes
Evil_underlord

While I appreciate the effort, the fact is that my setup worked beautifully until switching to Verizon. So, it's not a matter of getting Gmail and Thunderbird to cooperate, but of something to do with Verizon. The fact that extending the timeout allows e-mail to send (if slowly) suggests that something at Verizon is delaying transmission. To me, that suggests a firewall, but perhaps it's something else.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately the pop settings for one isp over another differ as you well know.

the two sites I posted say something in that imap and pop settings are different in Verizon Fios. Granted the smtp server may be have to be set per Verizon's hoop jumping. When reading many sites last evening I noticed that the posters did eventually get the situation sorted out. So it may have to be doing a forum search in this forum may actually fix your issue.

0 Likes