Verizon LOVES hackers!
Kahn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon LOVES hackers!!!

They actually protect the identity of anyone who tries to hack your account! In an utterly indefensible move, contrary to industry standards, Verizon will not pursue, nor give out any information on IP addresses of those attempting to hack it's customers!!

I'm not talking Facebook accounts, I'm talking about Verizon accounts. They send email notices that the account is locked, but when you try to actually do something, Verizon won't help, but they do expect me to pay $$$ when the bill is due. REALLY!?!

The public should be aware of this in light of the recent high profile data breaches.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon LOVES hackers!
Kahn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I've now wasted over 4 hours trying to get some resolution on the matter with no success.  I did however have the fraud department once again state that, "They will do nothing without a court order." crap again.

So I will enter the perpetual cycle of the hackers attempting to gain access and locking the account, me unlocking the account so I can recieve email, and them locking it out again, until they succeed.

Great way to protect customer personal information, Verizon.  After seeing data breaches at OPM, Home Depot, Target, Anthem, TJ Max and even Ashly Madison this year alone, you'd think they would not be so cavalier about security.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

"contrary to industry standards, Verizon will not pursue, nor give out any information on IP addresses of those attempting to hack it's customers!!"

Wrong, not contrary to industry stanards.  That IS the standard.

"They will do nothing without a court order."

That IS the industry standard.  The ONLY way you will get IP records from ANY ISP is with a court order.  Unless perhaps you are the NSA or FBI.

"I'm not talking Facebook accounts, I'm talking about Verizon accounts. They send email notices that the account is locked, but when you try to actually do something, Verizon won't help"

You didn't describe what happened, so hard to say. 

"After seeing data breaches at OPM, Home Depot, Target, Anthem, TJ Max and even Ashly Madison this year alone, you'd think they would not be so cavalier about security."

Your lock out is hardly comparable to a large scale corporate data breach, though again without specifics who knows.

If you want help, post specifics.

Kahn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Credit card companies will inform you of the location of any fraudulent charges, credit agencies will tell you who has pulled your credit report, even Twitter will inform you if someone from abroad tries to access your account with the location of the offending IP address, but what does Verizon do?  Lock out your account and send you a very non-specific notice (which you can’t receive until you unlock said account).  This places the consumer completely in the dark as to what or who has caused the account to be locked, rendering these notices completely impotent.

Having been in the IT industry for the last 20 plus years, I can tell you from personal experience that nothing you have stated is fact.  So your rebuttal to the present situation is completely and utterly wrong. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect they could get sued by the alleged Hacker.  Especially if they are a Verizon customer.  There are even some laws protecting internet privacy.  So to play it safe they require a government  order.  You can contact your local police or other authority and they can pursue it.