Verizon RJ45 data plugs - proprietary?
Steds83

Does Verizone use a proprietary data plugs?  I'm trying to move the location of my modem and had to run new Cat5 cable.  The plugs I got at Home Depot don't fit - too big.  Is there another type?

Wikipedia states: There are two types of 8P8C plugs, sockets, and diesets (used for crimping😞 Western Electric/Stewart Stamping (WE/SS) and Tyco/AMP. While both types look remarkably similar, they are mutually exclusive and cannot be interchanged. Tyco/AMP 8P8C plugs are proprietary, and have smaller spacing between contacts than the WE/SS style.

Does Verizon use Tyco?  Can we get them?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon RJ45 data plugs - proprietary?
Justin46
Legend

No, Verizon does not use proprietary plugs. I have used cables from many sources with my FiOS internet connections and never, ever had a plug type/size issue.

What are you trying to connect the cable to? When you say "modem" are you referring to the router (Actiontec or Westell, with FiOS you do not have a "modem" in the traditional sense, the ONT on the wall is the "modem" in that it converts between light and electrical signals)? Maybe the cable your ran has the wrong plugs?

I'm sorry, but from your limited description I don't understand what you are trying to do, or how. Please explain further.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
darthurs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

While 8p8c(RJ45 as most call them) have 2 styles the differance is only in the tool used to crimpe them. If the ends are too big make sure you are not trying to connet them to the phone ports on the ONT. That is the only thing I can think of.

David

0 Likes
Steds83

Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to run a new Cat5 cable from the ONT (on the side of my house) to a new location in the house.  Trying to plug into the Data port after removing the existing cable.  And the plugs don't fit.

The orginal install ran a cable from the ONT to a block inside the house.  Another cable ran from the block to the router (wireless in this case).

It's the Data port on the ONT where the new plug does not want to fit.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

My guess is you are trying to use the telephone port, not the ethernet port.

Verizon does not normally install today using ethernet (Cat 5). Instead, they use coax from the ONT to the router for the internet connection, even if you do not have a TV. I cannot imagine why an existing ethernet cable would run from the ONT to a "block", normally it is a straight run from the ONT to the router. This block sounds like a NID, which is for the telephone service.

How long ago was your FiOS installed? Is your phone service via FiOS or still on copper?

I really think you are trying to use the wrong port. And if you have not used cat 5 for the internet service previously, you will need to contact the FSC to have them switch you from coax to cat 5 (does not require a tech to come on-site).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Steds83

Install is a couple years old now - when FIOS first offered in NY.

Telephone, internet and TV all on FIOS.  The ONT has 1 data port and 4 telephone ports.

The Cat5 cable goes from ONT, to block inside house, to router, then desktop pc.  The block contains only a female connector (much like a copper phone jack).  Tip and ring.

Also, have coax from ONT into house - splits to several TVs and one coax cable back to router (I understand this is for Guide/Pay TV).

0 Likes
Steds83

I found another user's description of the install (I guess my installer added a block/jack to anchor the cable inside the house as it comes through the wall):

The ONT acts like a miniature central office. To my house it provides four POTS lines for voice service and one 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port for data service. The ONT accepts a single fiber-optic cable that connects all of these services back to Verizon’s central office.  To provide data service to my house, the installer ran a CAT-5 cable from the ONT’s 10/100 Ethernet port into my house, where it plugs into a D-Link 4-port “Ethernet Broadband Router,” provided by Verizon for free.

There's a picture at:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://community.moertel.com/~thor/pix/20051115/img_0820.jpg&...

Still trying to determine if Verizon has a special plug for that data port.

0 Likes
Yoz

As far as i'm aware..it uses the same connector RJ45...used it in my home from Home Depot...also a RJ45 plug is what it is..there is no additional flavors of it/

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Looking at your picture, it looks as if you have the AFC (Advanced Fiber Comunications) Access Max ONT 610. I have the same ONT and standard CAT-5 RJ-45 plugs in at the Data Port just fine. Are you trying to use a preterminated cable or terminate the cable ends yourself?

Standard modular plugs as used for everything in the US. If your crimping tool is not right yes you could have issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector

More information but it should not be needed. Standard cableing should be fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_cabling

Pin outs and wire pairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

0 Likes