Verizon / ScreenBeam / Actiontec WCB6200Q WiFi Network Extender
jcburton2

Are these devices actually different devices or are they the same with just a different label placed on them? I want to add a network extender to my Verizon Fios home network. I currently have a G1100 Quantum Gateway that I purchased from Verizon, but there are some dead / weak WiFi spots in my house. I already have the coax cabling in the house and a place picked out for the extender, I just need to purchase the extender. I would like to be able to use the SON  (self organizing network) feature with both the G1100 and the WCB6200Q if possible. So, what are the differences between the three network extenders? Do they all function the same? Do they all play nicely with the G1100?

John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon / ScreenBeam / Actiontec WCB6200Q WiFi Network Extender
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The lack of FiOS television allows for the use of third party routers & extenders.

Prior to Verizon replacing my 1100 with a 3100, I used Linksys routers configured in Bridge mode to act as extenders around the house and had good results. Once the 3100 arrived, the Linksys routers gave way to 3200 extenders. Except for the loss of a feature with the latest firmware update, the 3200s serve the house well.

Coax to Ethernet converters are available to allow the reuse of existing coaxial cable infrastructure. I don't have any specific recommendations because I use Ethernet cabling to connect the extenders to the router. Coaxial cable is run to the two important extenders to use in case I need to work on the Ethernet cabling.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

What speed is the subscribed Internet service? SON is one feature that most users tend to disable and keep the 2.4 and 5.0 networks separate.

jcburton2

The service is currently 100/100 with spotty wifi reception in spots. Currently we have relatively light usage (2 adults, one working full time outside the house, some computer, tablet, cell phone & streaming). I will be upgrading to gigabit in the next few months to handle 2 adults working from home full time / online classes plus adult child online classes. I want to have consistent wifi throughout the house and ease of movement throughout the house without having to switch networks or have to decide which network to use when and where.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe that the WCB6200Q supports Gig speeds when connected via coaxial cable. For that Ethernet cabling is needed. Sometimes the suggestion is made to acquire a second 1100 and set it up in Bridge Mode.

jcburton2

The Specs (both Verizon and the others) claim gigabit over bonded MoCa 2.0 for the WCB6200Q. The G1100 only has MoCa 2.0, which is limited to (500? 700? mbps - I've heard conflicting claims). I have a couple of Motorola MM1000 which do bonded MoCa 2.0 and convert to ethernet, which I was going to use between the G1100 and the coax.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G1100’s coax is limited to 500Mbps. This is a hardware constraint because Greenwave Systems opted to use the non bonded MoCA 2.0 chips. G1500 was prototyped to replace the MoCA chip with the bonded one but was axed (excuse for my language) before G3100 was due to come out.

WCB6200 uses the end of life bonded MoCA2.0 chip. Screenbeam is a new brand of Actiontec to relabel the SoHo product line. Verizon WCB uses a different variant of the firmware on the same hardware. Etc…. Besides these technicalities, WCB6200 should not be used in new deployments because field tests found it is incompatible with newer MoCA standards.

The replacement product for WCB6200 is E3200 made by Arcandyan. Although E3200’s SON is not compatible with G1100’s SON, at least their MoCA is compatible.

As Dexman suggested, you can buy another used G1100 to be set in bridge mode. It would give you additional WiFi range and can be linked to the primary G1100 via coax. The same 500Mbps cap applies here.

If you only have 100/100, you seem to be stuck with an outdated and more expensive subscription. If you are not subscribed to TV and your ONT is GPON, I would recommend you to switch to 300/300 at $40 per month.

jcburton2

Thanks for the reply! As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not planning on staying at 100/100, but need to upgrade to higher bandwidth (300/300 or better). I also need better WiFi coverage in my house (2 story, 2000sq ft). I know what ONT is, but not sure what you mean by GPON. The ONT is on the outside wall of the house and connected to the G1100 via ethernet. I don't see any coax connection to the ONT. I have "Local Only" TV, and the channels are tuned through the TV's tuners, not a STB (don't have any STBs). The G1100 is connected to house coax which also carries the video signal. 2 TVs each have a Motorola MM1000 MoCa converter box for a hardwire ethernet network connection for streaming content. 

The option I was considering is to get a WCB6200 to replace one of the MM1000 converters and provide ethernet to the TV and also WiFi for that area. The MM1000 that is replaced is moved / connected to the G1100 to provide a bonded MoCa 2.0 connection to the coax, by-passing the MoCa in the G1100.

Thought? Suggestions? Trying to be cost effective and improve WiFi coverage and bandwidth.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The lack of FiOS television allows for the use of third party routers & extenders.

Prior to Verizon replacing my 1100 with a 3100, I used Linksys routers configured in Bridge mode to act as extenders around the house and had good results. Once the 3100 arrived, the Linksys routers gave way to 3200 extenders. Except for the loss of a feature with the latest firmware update, the 3200s serve the house well.

Coax to Ethernet converters are available to allow the reuse of existing coaxial cable infrastructure. I don't have any specific recommendations because I use Ethernet cabling to connect the extenders to the router. Coaxial cable is run to the two important extenders to use in case I need to work on the Ethernet cabling.

jcburton2

One final question, will the ScreenBeam WCB6200 SON work with the G1100?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Only the Verizon variant of the WCB6200Q can work with G1100 through SON. Again, the purchase of WCB6200 variants is highly discouraged given the reasons stated above. You may not want to invest over $100 in the technology that is dated.

Any reasons to replace the current current Motorola MoCA adapters? Why not add a standalone access point configured with the same SSID and password?