Verizon taking over my Firefox
GregV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have had Verizon FiOS and phone for a while now, and recently switched my cable from BH to Verizon as well, in the process upgrading my internet to 25/15 and the phone to digital. After the install tech came and went installing the TV boxes and whatnot, my Firefox icon on my Windows 7 taskbar is a verizon logo and every time I open it it brings up the verizon central page, whether or not I change the home address in the settings. How do I get my Firefox back tot he way it was? I uninstalled the In Home thing, but cannot find anything else relating to Verizon, in my firefox addons or in my windows Programs control panel.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit with Firefox 3.6 beta 5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon taking over my Firefox
GregV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've searched through my entire system and cannot find any verizon software installed anywhere. Would it have modified some firefox file somehow? I'm gonna try to un/re-install Firefox and see if that helps.

Update: Ok I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and everything seems to be fine now, must have been a file in the firefox dir that Verizon changed at some point. Oh well, its all working as it should be now, thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

It is very likely that the icon you are clicking on is not just a Firefox Icon. It is a shortcut pointing to the Verizon website.

Try opening Firefox from the menu. If that solves the problem you can delete the Verizon Icon and copy out a new Firefox shortcut.

0 Likes
GregV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I thought that at first, but what happened was that the icon I had previously to them installing the service is what changed, even whan I unpinned that icon, I went to the firefox directory and repinned the firefox executable the same thing happened. I appreciate the effort though.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

look through your process list in task manager.  You likely have Verizon Service point installed, it comes bundled with the InHomeAgent

0 Likes
GregV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've searched through my entire system and cannot find any verizon software installed anywhere. Would it have modified some firefox file somehow? I'm gonna try to un/re-install Firefox and see if that helps.

Update: Ok I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and everything seems to be fine now, must have been a file in the firefox dir that Verizon changed at some point. Oh well, its all working as it should be now, thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@GregV wrote:

Greg,

First, glad you got it all working again.

Now, if something like this happens again, you might try a couple of things that as far as I can see you have not mentioned:

1) Disable all Add-ons in Firefox. Some sites may install Add-ons by default, without you even realizing it.

2) Check Firefox's "about:config" to see if there are any entries that might be causing the problem. I looked at mine, did a search on "home" and found several entries that affect the home page(s) that is (are) displayed. Perhaps somehow one or more of those have been set and for some reason can't be changed using the Tools settings.

Of course hopefully you never have the problem again. But I would hate to have to re-install Firefox, I have a lot of Add-ons and configuration options set, redoing all of those would be a big, big pain.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
GregV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I did attempt disabling all addons, thats usually my first step, I should have mentioned it. Althought I did not thin to check the about:config, that is an excellent point, I will keep that in mind.

As far as re-installing as long as you backup your profiles and extensions its actually a breeze, of course given that its not one of your addons/profile settings that is causing the problem. Took me a total of I'd say 8-10 minutes to uninstall, reinstall, verify fresh install of Firefox is working correctly, moving my backed-up profile over, and re-verifying.

Anyhow, thank you for your suggestions, they are worth taking into consideration.

0 Likes