Re: Verizon, upgrade your capacity or lose another customer
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you guys in the DE / PA area? 

There is an outage apparently affecting slow speeds, packet loss etc.

Multiple Outages This Morning (Delaware Area)

0 Likes
Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Contacted VZ twice yesterday, around 11:00am, and again at 10:30PM last night.  They were supposed to call me at 9:30PM from my earlier call, but I figured that woulnd't get relayed properly by the person I contacted earlier that morning but hey it happens...

The guy in the evening was at least articulate and understood what I was saying and the context.  That helped immensely.  He was about to go through the whole script again, but when I mentioned that 2 neighbors whom I contacted the night previous had the same issue he understood, and instead of me wasting my time with router reboots, or unplugs, or standing on my head he got it!  There is faith in humanity!  

Anyway the guy was very nice and helpful.

Last night once the heavy evening times hit, I tried pulling from:

Microsoft for a Service Pack = 987Kbp/s  

Google = 14Mbp/s

FTP = 18Mbp/s

Amazon Streams (Apple TV) = Not useable

PBS (Apple TV) = Not useable

Netflix (Roku) = Not Tested (I should have)

Speedtest (Shentel) - 16Mbp/s

Speedtest (Reston Broadaspect) - 22Mbp/s

Speedtest (Fastserv) - 18Mbp/s 

This time the local speedtest was running almost perfect.  (Verizon)

I noticed on my work VPN that the latency I normally get around 44ms had gone up to 72ms.  

Again I'd like to highlight that more than likely this has been happening for at least a month.  But I don't have hard data so I'm only sticking to the last 14 days at this point.

I'm plotting all my points in the event I need to post this other Social sites to get more visibiliity.  

Also if you have a neighborhood posting board I'd post a question around FIOS and the performance people are getting.  It would give us many more data points.

Cheers,

Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Evergreen Mill Preserve.  Loudoun County, VA. 

I'm going to reach out to the 300 or so homes in the area and see if a few more are having issues.  

Cheers,

0 Likes
Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had 9 people write back with reports of some sort of trouble.  

https://greenemillpreserve.nextdoor.com/news_feed/

I'd say that this validates that there is a neighborhood issue.  

Out of 9 replies back, 3 are exactly the same issue.  Given that many users are unaware or ignore the issue as it resolves the next morning, I'm confident that the impact is large.  

0 Likes
snoborder101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, more than just your neighborhood. I'm close by however. I live off of watson road and I'm having the same issue. I honestly think they're just overloaded at the moment. I don't believe in coincidences. I think they're selling more bandwidth than they can handle currently. It's fine all day long up until around 5pm, and continues until around 11pm.  I've loved my verizon service, and even bragged about it for the longest time, but this is getting unbearable.

0 Likes
snoborder101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, thanks for the update. I haven't gotten a chance to speak with a verizon rep yet due to long work hours.

0 Likes
sbinh

Experience extremely slow internet speed in Fairfax City (22031) area for past few weeks -- ONLY around 7:30 PM till at least 10:00PM.   Downstream got down to 8-10ish mbps from 50mbps.

Another complaining thread here:  http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Fairfax-VA-High-Speed-Internet-very-low-speeds-every-Sund...

0 Likes
sbinh

Lost internet completely when i got home. Currently on phone with tech ... It's been over half hour but still no luck.

Have to use phone  to post.

0 Likes
sbinh

Here is some update ....

Tech told me yesterday that she would ship NEW router to replace the "faulty" one and it would arrive before 4PM.

5:00PM .. no show

5:30PM .. no show

Out of patient, I decided to powered off and reset the "faulty" router.  Guess what? It came back up and connected to network.

I decided to run few speed tests -- each test is about 30 minutes apart:

Test 1: 92.05 / 64.45 mbps

Test 2: 1.38 / 64.17 mbps

Test 3: 92.95 / 64.51 mbps

It means that Verizon is doing something that they DO NOT want to admit  and/or to let customers know.

Check out the image (sorry if it it too big for you to open)

0 Likes
Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I heard from a neighbor that supposedly VZ was upgrading a connection this weekend. Not sure he was told the truth, but if true this would make sense.

I'm still not sure why they are not being more ttransparent.
0 Likes