Re: Very brief network outages
triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have multiple devices on the network, primarily Windows 10, but do have a few macOS and mobile devices on Android and iOS.

0 Likes
triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Behind the G3100 Fios Router, I have the following Switch:

Araknis Networks® 110 Series Unmanaged+ 16 Port Gigabit Switch

The switch does perform DHCP, and it was set to enabled.  I've just disabled it to see if anything changes for the better, assuming the G3100 was already doing all the DHCP duties I'm not sure if they would conflict with eachother?

Separately, would it be possible for the G3100 to handoff DHCP duties to the switch entirely, even for wireless connections? 

0 Likes
triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've disabled DHCP on the switch, and it hasn't made any difference.

0 Likes
triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe I may have stumbled onto a solution.  Setting all my ethernet connected computers to Static IPs within the G3100 has seemingly solved it.  I've also left my G3100 as the DHCP provider, and disabled DHCP on my switch.

0 Likes
triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since making the change, I've had a drop after 1.5hrs, then another after only 15 minutes.  Still monitoring, but still something is not quite right.

0 Likes
triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, after setting all connections to static IPs, disconnects are only happening a couple times an hour now.

I've isolated disconnects to these info messages in the LAN DHCP Log:

2022 Apr 29 23:26:15
dhcpd
info
[LDHCP][IPv6] Sending Reply to XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX port 546
2022 Apr 29 23:26:15
dhcpd
info
[LDHCP][IPv6] Information-request message from XXXX::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX port 546, transaction ID 0x9034AB00
0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@triumph100 wrote:
Araknis Networks® 110 Series Unmanaged+ 16 Port Gigabit Switch

The switch does perform DHCP, and it was set to enabled.

Where did you get that switch? That switch is definitely not in the mainstream consumer outlet.

Anyway, having two DHCP servers in the same network would definitely cause problems. You should only have one, let it be the G3100 or the switch. If the switch is doing DHCP, it needs to include appropriate options in the DHCP response to indicate G3100 is the gateway and DNS server.

Also, you should not set static IPs around, unless those are networking devices that need one. The log shows you have IPv6 enabled. I am wondering whether your switch is properly handling IPv6 traffic.

triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Been very busy the past couple weeks.  Any further thoughts on things to try?  Would calling Verizon do any good?  Still getting 2-3 disconnects an hour 24x7.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cang_Household floated some questions and ideas in his latest post. Could those be addressed before moving forward?

triumph100
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've removed static IP assignments.  Have also bypassed the switch entirely in question, in addition to making sure DHCP is disabled.  As previously mentioned, was getting the same disconnect issues prior to even having the switch, or setting static IPs.

0 Likes