Very poor FIOS download speeds
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

Something is wrong in this fair land of ours (and I'm not taliking politics).

My FIOS speed has dramatically declined. I can't figure this out.  It apparently is fine for a short burst, but then it just goes to heck in a handbasket.

Here is a representative result from speedtest.net, run on a computer that has been optimized for FIOS and is connected to my FIOS router via Ethernet

The funny thing is that repeatedly, when I run it, the speed test starts out very well, but suddenly, in the download phase, speed just take a nosedive..

See the graph just below the speed dial. in the next image. This is the exact speed test that I posted the results of here as well.  image

So, is it time to call Verizon Tech support?

0 Likes
Re: Very poor FIOS download speeds
JPLS1

Lately, the speed has decreased drastically and simple interaction from YouTube and pbsktake contents stalls. Called customer support and no use. Right before calling CS the speed from speed test showed less than 1MB and while testing with CS it showed 20MB.  Few minutes later back to same slow connection!

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

The image showing the graph with declining speed  apparently didn't meke it into my post. Here is a 2nd try.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Cstenfors, your image is being rejected because it contains your IP. Please obscure that and try again.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Try to replicate your results at the Verizon Speed Test Site http://speedtest.verizon.net and click the details button.  also be mindful that Wireless Connections will become eratic when interference is introduced.  So try to be hardwired when doing the test to rule out line trouble. 

Click that and post those results here too.   

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

also be mindful that Wireless Connections will become eratic when interference is introduced.  So try to be hardwired when doing the test to rule out line trouble. 

Click that and post those results here too.   

Thank you. Did you note in my original post  where I expressly indicated that I was connected via Ethernet to the router?  

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

Once again I'm able to resolve my own issue. 🙂

The speedtest.net server I was testing to here local to me (I'm now hesitant to say which area I'm living in, becase that will identify me as much as the IP address that cased my image to be deleted) seems to have a persistent problem.

Fortunately, local to me (again, I can't tell you where I live, since posting information such as a town or an IP address may get my post deleted ) there were more than one speedtest. net server. So by testing to a different server, I was able to replicate and verify the results that I obtained from the Verizon speedtest.

Bad server: http://speedtest.net/result/2300221912.png

Good server: http://speedtest.net/result/2300224094.png

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CStenfors wrote:

Once again I'm able to resolve my own issue. 🙂

The speedtest.net server I was testing to here local to me (I'm now hesitant to say which area I'm living in, becase that will identify me as much as the IP address that cased my image to be deleted) seems to have a persistent problem.

Fortunately, local to me (again, I can't tell you where I live, since posting information such as a town or an IP address may get my post deleted ) there were more than one speedtest. net server. So by testing to a different server, I was able to replicate and verify the results that I obtained from the Verizon speedtest.

Bad server: http://speedtest.net/result/2300221912.png

Good server: http://speedtest.net/result/2300224094.png

I am pretty sure you are being sarcastic in the above post, but I think you are over-reacting a little regarding the personal information issue, Verizon is just trying to protect you from the bad guys who can do geo-location on IP addresses, for example, and potentially find your location. On the other hand, I agree that this paranoia about personal info is frequently carried too far. I get a new IP address fairly regularly with no action on my part, and you can always force a new IP address by disconnecting the router from the internet for 30 minutes or so, or power it off overnight, for example.

Suggestion: Add your location (city, town, county, general area like North Texas, whatever you feel comfortable with) to your profile here in the Forums. If Verizon didn't want you to be able to make that info available they would not have provided a way to do so. Notice that I have Keller, TX in my profile so everybody can see generally where I am, and nobody from Verizon has objected in the 3+ years I have been here.

Now to your problem. Based on your pictures you linked, you are in the DFW area (as am I). When I go to speedtest.net and choose Dallas, I get a choice of 4 servers:

When i choose either the 3rd or 4th on the list I get terrible performance numbers, like:

and

When I choose either of the first two, I get good measurements for my 25/25 service, such as:

I rarely choose to test using any of the Dallas servers as I am on the west side of the Metroplex and I normally choose one of the Ft. Worth servers, so I was not aware of this issue.

So I agree, there are some problems with some of the servers in Dallas. Have you reported this problem to speedtest.net?

Also something interesting, if you look at the third server on the list, it says it is hosted by 10gh.ru, which I would interpret as being in Rumania??????

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

@Justin wrote:
So I agree, there are some problems with some of the servers in Dallas. Have you reported this problem to speedtest.net?

Also something interesting, if you look at the third server on the list, it says it is hosted by 10gh.ru, which I would interpret as being in Rumania??????

Yes, I aubmitted something to speedtest.net, but so far I only got automated responses that were not related to this issue at all. I'm not really inclined to persue it further, I hate tech support in general.

As for your location, I'm just to north of you, separated by lake Grapevine. 🙂

The 10gh.ru I assumed was aforeign  company with a point-of-presence here in Dallas.

Geolocating my IP. Yes, I have never seen a geolocation service that didn't put me in Flower Mound (you should know where that is). Good luck to anyone wanting to do anything to me based on that.

In general I tend to agree with Scott Adams

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/guardians_of_privacy/

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/the_privacy_illusion/

But I gues I should stop before I say things that gets my post deleted again. 🙂

0 Likes