VPN issues trying to connect VPN from home (fios 25/25) to work (sonicwall TZ180)
iamganda
Enthusiast - Level 1

My issue is every time I am home working on my laptop and attempt to VPN to my work server the connection drops out after 30 seconds or so then reconnects then drops out forever repeating.  If I connect through my cell phone as an access point the connect is stable. What do I need to do to my VZ router to make it play nice with my work sonicwall appliance? 

Thanks for any help.

Re: VPN issues trying to connect VPN from home (fios 25/25) to work (sonicwall TZ180)
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Is this a new problem or something that is ongoing for a while?

Where are you located?

0 Likes
Re: VPN issues trying to connect VPN from home (fios 25/25) to work (sonicwall TZ180)
tns
Master - Level 2

You may want to talk to someone at your work location.  Or someone familiar with Sonicwall TZ180.  When I was doing some work for the place I retired from, I had no problem after initial setup with the VPN.  But it was a different one.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does this issue correct itself when you either put your PC into the DMZ or when you disable the ActionTec's Firewall, or both? Since tethering to your phone reveals no problems, I don't think the SonicWall is to blame, but more or less trouble between the Router and the VPN.

A good place to start would be to mention what VPN software you use to connect to your work. Certain VPN programs such as the ones made by Cisco and Juniper require certain protocols related to the VPN to be open and passable through a firewall or NAT appliance. Without this ability, you might not be able to connect or you might experience handshake issues, which is what it sounds like you're seeing here.

0 Likes
dcmapper
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem and would appreciate any advice.

Some additional information: I use Shrewsoft VPN and it used to work fine until recently. When I connect through a public Wi-Fi or through a phone hotspot, I can login to the VPN fine.

Thanks!

d

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check your router's Firewall to ensure it hasn't been set to a setting higher than "Low/Typical" or Disabled. The High Firewall settings might have the tendency to block the VPN connections, even if VPN Passthrough is enabled.

0 Likes