VZ MyDomain Website Builder/Domain Forwarding
stagehand
Enthusiast - Level 2

Besides FIOS Digital Voice and FIOS Internet, I signed up for Verizon's MyDomain web registration months ago. (Let's say it's "mydomain.net".) Although I have been able to build web pages in the VZ Personal Website area (where Verizon assigns you a long url that you can't control ... ), I can't figure out how to do any one of the following possibilities:

• Edit the index.htm page at mydomain.net (registered with Verizon, as noted above)
  • Forward mydomain.net to a Verizon Personal Website page
  • "Build" a website using mydomain.net as the start page. Is SiteBuilder obsolete?

The only question I could find on this topic here was never answered, and the thread is long-stale. I don't see this topic in the FAQ, either. Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VZ MyDomain Website Builder/Domain Forwarding
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

According to this article, you need to use SiteBuilder after logging in through the Site Control page, not your normal verizon.net login. Since I don't pay for the product, I can't tell you much more than that.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

According to this article, you need to use SiteBuilder after logging in through the Site Control page, not your normal verizon.net login. Since I don't pay for the product, I can't tell you much more than that.

stagehand
Enthusiast - Level 2

somegirl, thank you for your splendid answer. Because, as you noted, you don't use MyDomain, I'm posting a few additional notes for future readers:

I chose the lowest tier ($19.95 a year) of MyDomain, knowing that I could always use my Verizon personal webspace for my actual web content. The MyDomain marketing page no longer tells you what resources you get for each level. It turns out that I have a choice between hosting 3 pages (if I elect SiteBuilder Personal Basic, cost=free), or 5 pages (if I elect SiteBuilder 3.0, cost=free). This would be laughable, except I made the cheapskate choice, and I can't complain now!

I made the decision based on AT&T completely dropping their personal web pages, which I had used for many years. I decided this was a way to make my web address durable and portable for the future. There are surely better choices for a more sophisticated user than I am. But I'm satisfied with my decision so far.

(To put that thought into dollars, I'm still paying AT&T $7.95 a month just to maintain my 15-year old email addresses. So eventually dropping that in favor of my own domain at $19.95 a year doesn't look so expensive. But to each his/her own.)

The first choice offered when you log on to SiteBuilder in MyDomain is between Domain Forwarding and the web hosting/SiteBuilder described just above. As they tell you, the two choices are mutually exclusive. Wait at least one day before deciding, because it's very difficult to reverse your choice. (Not a complaint, just a warning.)  I plan to post links to my actual websites on my MyDomain home page. That will confuse or scare some unsophisticated users, because the Verizon Personal Webpages have cryptic, un-changeable URLs.

Although MyDomain warned me that it could take up to 24 hours to activate my selection of SiteBuilder 3.0, it actually happened within an hour.