Want to get rid of G1100 and use own router. Questions.
Barbos

Guys,

I have Verizon FIOS Triple play package with 100/100 internet. I want to redesign my home network and get rid of G1100 gateway I currently have.

G1100 is connected through the coax (not direct ethernet) to ONT. As I understood STBs uses G1100 to get channel line up and such.

What I want is use own wired (no wireless support) router and connect it's WAN port to ethernet port of MOCA adapter. Besides I want to install in several places of my house coax/ethernet MOCA adapters for wired ethernet and wireless access points.

Is it doable? Will my STBs still work? What else should I do or missing?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Want to get rid of G1100 and use own router. Questions.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a very similar setup to how you want to set yours. First run your ethernet from the ONT to your personal router and call Verizon to switch ONT to ethernet. Take a LAN port from your personal router and connect it to the ethernet port of a MoCA adapter 's ethernet port. I use a WCB3000N from Actiontec. Then connect coax from your cable splitter to the MoCA adapter. Go into your personal router's client list to see the IP address of the MoCA adapter login to the adapter with that IP address and turn off the wifi. Reboot your STBs and they will get IPs from your router and you should be good. 

0 Likes
Barbos

Edg1, thanks for the write up. The thing is I'd like to avoid running ethernet from ONT to my router, for my situation it does not look like simple thing to do.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m sorry I read your post wrong. Unfortunately to use your own router you need ethernet from the ONT to your router’s WAN port. A MoCA adapter works on the LAN side of the router. MoCA WAN and LAN are 2 different operating frequencies. 

You could call Verizon to run the ethernet. If it needs to be fished through walls you’ll need to hire an electrician since Verizon techs aren’t required to wall fish. 

0 Likes