Re: Want to upgrade router, but keep getting the runaround from CS
SHUJeff281
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well thank you for that.  At least now I know.  However, you have just confirmed the one fault with the service and that is the inability to upgrade at will.  With another provider that does not lock me into using their equipment I could have upgraded to wireless N months (years?) ago.  Because the Fios service is so superior to anything else offered I will not consider switching just for the ability to upgrade my equipment when I want to.  Although, if I was going to make a complaint about the service it would be that the rollout of new technology is too slow.  ActionTec needs to get their **bleep** in gear developing new products and Verizon needs to follow suit in rolling that product out to their subscribers. 

Re: Want to upgrade router, but keep getting the runaround from CS
prisaz
Legend

@wekurtz74 wrote:
Interesting -- I have the D-Link Extreme G running over Cat 5e.  Was thinking of paying for an upgrade to the D-Link DIR 855 to run Sim. Dual Band N and have gigabit ethernet ports, plus QoS.  I wonder if this Actiontec is a way around it.  Does anyone have the Rev E?  I reviewed the pdf on this, and it was a little unclear about where it was 802.11n or not, and if it was had gigabit ethernet ports.  Can anyone give first hand info?  Thanks

Westell routers are being used, but are still not 802.11n

The PDF regarding the Actiontec rev E states.

"IEEE 802.11n (future)"

Other users have installed their own wireless N routers and bridged the Actiontec. Or just put their wireless N routers behind the Actiontec on the LAN side. Verizon will not support routers or issues caused by routers they did not provide, but here is a link.

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

The site at the link shown above states you must have CAT5 cable run from the ONT, but if you only want wireless N and not all the benefits of replacing the Verizon supplied router, you can just connect it to the Actiontec LAN port and leave the existing router for your TVs only. But MR DVR will not be able to access your PC by doing this. you would also need to disable the wireless on the Actiontec.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-23-2009 09:18 PM
0 Likes