Re: want to use my own wifi router
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not have fios tv. I considered getting it but their website indicates their dvr only has 20 hours of hd storage so I didn't bother getting their tv service.

What is an ONT? I believe the answer to your question though is coax as there is a coax cable connected to the back of the verizon router - the only cat cable is connecting to the computers.

I didn't get a chance to try changing any of the settings on the router last night - got home late and didn't feel like messing around it. I'll try to do it tonight or over the weekend.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

If you really wanted to you could run an ethernet cable from the ONT (white box where the COAX is plugged in) to your wifi router, thus bypassing the Verizon router completely. You would just need to call technical support and ask them to switch the data port from coax to ethernet. Typically they can do this remotely without send a tech out, it would just be up to you to install the ethernet cable. Just a thought, otherwise you can do the bridge setup.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@merk wrote:

I do not have fios tv. I considered getting it but their website indicates their dvr only has 20 hours of hd storage so I didn't bother getting their tv service.

What is an ONT? I believe the answer to your question though is coax as there is a coax cable connected to the back of the verizon router - the only cat cable is connecting to the computers.

I didn't get a chance to try changing any of the settings on the router last night - got home late and didn't feel like messing around it. I'll try to do it tonight or over the weekend.

In that case just scrap the Zerizon router and put your own in it's place.  Howver by default your VZ router is probably connectedv via coax(( MOCA).  request to Verizon to change your provisioning to ethernet and then connect your roter directly by it wan port to the ont's ethernet connetcion.  The ont is the verixon connection device at your house that has a coax connection, an ethernet connection and several telephone connections - depends on your home interface type

merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:
In that case just scrap the Zerizon router and put your own in it's place.  Howver by default your VZ router is probably connectedv via coax(( MOCA).  request to Verizon to change your provisioning to ethernet and then connect your roter directly by it wan port to the ont's ethernet connetcion.  The ont is the verixon connection device at your house that has a coax connection, an ethernet connection and several telephone connections - depends on your home interface type

Ah - i wonder why the install tech didn't do that to begin with then? He specifically ran some coax cable from the ONT to an unused phone outlet. I wonder why he didn't just use ethernet cable instead. I suppose i could do it myself - i'd just have to crawl around in the attic and try to feed the ethernet cable down along the coax cable.

Is there any difference between connecting with coax versus connecting with ethernet? Without knowing anything further about it, using ethernet makes more sense to me since every router/switch works with ethernet. 

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

the answer is that the Verizon tech is more experience with working with Coax than ethernet because he does coax cables all day every day and rarely does ethernet cables. But yes it would have made more sense for him to do an ethernet line. I guess if you did want to add TV service later then it would be helpful to already have the coax line there because you will need that if you get TV service. There are some in depth technical differences that we could talk about concerning the difference between coax and ethernet.... but it doesn't really matter that much to you except for the fact that the coax cable means you have to have a cable modem and an ethernet cable means you don't need the cable modem.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@merk wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

Ah - i wonder why the install tech didn't do that to begin with then? He specifically ran some coax cable from the ONT to an unused phone outlet. I wonder why he didn't just use ethernet cable instead. I suppose i could do it myself - i'd just have to crawl around in the attic and try to feed the ethernet cable down along the coax cable.

Is there any difference between connecting with coax versus connecting with ethernet? Without knowing anything further about it, using ethernet makes more sense to me since every router/switch works with ethernet. 

You have to have the ont provisioned for ethernet.  That has to be a request from you to verizon.  It does not require an installer visit they just change the provisioning and then the connection to the gateway router is ethernet rather than coax.  By default it is coax and the installer had a Verizon router that had a coax connection so that's what he installed.  There is no issue with you using your own ethernet router instead of theirs.

0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@merk wrote:

You have to have the ont provisioned for ethernet.  That has to be a request from you to verizon.  It does not require an installer visit they just change the provisioning and then the connection to the gateway router is ethernet rather than coax.  By default it is coax and the installer had a Verizon router that had a coax connection so that's what he installed.  There is no issue with you using your own ethernet router instead of theirs.

Ok - so if i get ambitious enough to crawl around in the attic and try to run some ethernet cable down along the coax cable, i can just plug it my router. i wish I has know this 2 days ago - would have just asked the tech to run the ethernet cable then.

Anyhow, thanks for the info from everyone.

0 Likes
nouf1979

Hello,

I have been having serious range and signal issue with my Verizon Actiontec router, and I am planning on using it as a bridge to connect it to my own Cisco Router to get better signal and range. After complaining too many times, Verizon is sending a technician on Saturday and I can ask him if he can run an ethernet from the box to connect the router if possible, as my house is wired kind of weird.

Until then, can anyone help with the instructions or steps to set the Verizon router as a bridge?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Likes
webdevii1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok there is 2 ways to do this, I will explain in brief the reasons and issues first:

1. Verizon uses what they call MoCA or Media over CoAx Cable.  hence the TV and Internet come thru the coax or MoCA port on the ONT or Optical Network Terminal (Its that big white box that Verizon installs when they put in your service)

2. You may have noticed just adjacent to that MoCA connector you will see an RJ45 (Ethernet Port)  Well by default that port is turned off by Verizon.   Now if you can find a "cool" Tech that will provision that port to be on you will be in business.  Legally there is no charge to activate it, Legally there are no Tarrif restrictions by Verizon or the PUC to not turn that RC45 port on. So that is the route I took,

3. There is another route that is a weak and sloppy solution to get Ethernet over Ethernet, and that is use a MoCA to Ethernet converter.  They are expensive and usually do not work well. 

The summary to my story is, i would start at the Tech support number and escalate up to Tier 3 Suport because that is the level that is authorized to do the conversion, You will prolly have to go thru the business office since it s a Records / Service change.  I got lucky and found a Director of Operations in Dallas Tx. and he did it for me.  I run the ASUS RT-87U Router that runs on Merlin Firmware.  I have not had one problem at all.  Now your prolly thinking what about my TV since normally the Verizon Craption-Tec Router in theory runs the internet and television.  Well that ole' Craption-tec Verizon router you just leave connected up to the MoCA coax connector on your ONT and that is that.  if you do not have Television Service with Verizon you can eliminate the Craption-Tec Verizon router all together.

I am running  like I said the ASUS RT-87U on 100Mps / 100Mps service Verizon brings gigabit service to the ONT, so your speeds are wildly insane,  you can run Network Attached Storage Servers on port 8080 and verison is none the wiser, as they are charging $100.00 and to convert to business service to turn on Port 80 and Port 21 which are the defaults for Web Servers and FTP servers.  again another easy one to work around using your high end router's port forwarding service.  I run a DLNA media server, File server, Website, amongst other stuff all thru Verizon and they have never yet inquired as to the heavy hitter data user that I am.  Soo with that said Good Luck

Latez

Dev

0 Likes
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am too trying to use my own router mainly to have a better wireless signal at home. I have the asus AC2400 and I do have verizon Tv running on my Tivo HD's. mostly everything is hard wire but when I get on wifi my signal isn't as good and that is with thier quantum router. so I would like to use my own router. I don't have any port forward but would like to disable the verizon router and just use mine for wireless if possible and get the verizone for all the wired stuff. is this possible? I do have to control my receiver and tv with my iphone and they need to be in the same network. 

Thank you in advance for anyone helping. 

0 Likes