How to use your own router with Verizon FiOS
webdevii1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@skasol wrote:

I am too trying to use my own router mainly to have a better wireless signal at home. I have the asus AC2400 and I do have verizon Tv running on my Tivo HD's. mostly everything is hard wire but when I get on wifi my signal isn't as good and that is with thier quantum router. so I would like to use my own router. I don't have any port forward but would like to disable the verizon router and just use mine for wireless if possible and get the verizone for all the wired stuff. is this possible? I do have to control my receiver and tv with my iphone and they need to be in the same network. 

Thank you in advance for anyone helping. 

What your going to need to do is the following:

1. Be sure your ONT that is the box that the Fibre wire connects to, you will see a bunch of lights on the left side, one will say MoCA, the one right above that will say Ethernet,  You need to put in a request to have your ONT provisioned to change the Ethernet over MoCA to the Ethernet Port.  It will still leave your Actiontec router inline to broadcast your Guide via MoCA, however it will also enable the Ethernet Port which by the way is Giga-E to enable you to plug in your own Router for the Internet.

The way I did mine is I found a 3rd Tier Support person in Austin Texas that was willing to do it for me.  It does take an installer to come out and do the verification, there is no physical work that needs to be done,  All they do is Enable that port from their Central Office.  It is also FREE!!

Then you would disable your Actiontec Router portion in the setup menu. That allows the TV portion to still remain active but disables the Internet portion so as not to interfere with your own router.

Next Plug a Cat-6e Cable into the Ethernet port on your ONT and the other end into the WAN port on your router (usually the Yellow Port), Then as in any other router configuration set up your router as you normally would.  Keep in mind The old Internet Standard was to have an ISP Modem that would connect to your Router. With Fibre service the ONT becomes your Modem. Once that is all complete you may need to contact Verizon, when you do BE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOW ON Ethernet over Ethernet not MoCA then ask them to Release and Reset your IP pool and it will take several Minutes to dish out a new WAN IP, When the Green light beside the Ethernet label on your ONT lights up you know your connected.

Resume as normal as you would for any other ISP internet service.

It took me probably 3 months to push and politely press to get this done, by no means get an attitude or be forcefull with the 3rd Tier reps,  be as nice as you can as this is not a provided feature although they are Tarriffed to do it.

you just have to find the right rep that will work with you.  Then the end game is you will connect your "ASUS RT-87U" 4 way MU-MUMO router and have blazing fast speeds as FiOS does not Cap any service speeds over 75 Mbps service, and it is Syncronous ie: 75 up and 75 down.  I am paying for 75 / 75 and attaining over 100 Mbps true thruput.

That is how it is done.

The last thing is buy high quality Molded Ethernet Cables Cat-6e which supports 10Gbps at 200' Max distance, you can buy them at PI Manufacturing for dirt cheap, 100' cost me roughly $20.00 and so on.

Good Luck, get bakc to me if you need any further assistance

Dev

Re: want to use my own wifi router
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2
This sounds extremely complicated. But thank you for putting all that together for me. So there is a way for me to use my own router then? Are there any downsides to me using my own router. I am planning on getting a newer TiVo a roamio plus for my tv not sure If me switching to Ethernet from mocha will work. So in other words If I use my own router I wouldn't need their box quantum router that was given to me? Does that router not need to be hooked up for TV? I am so confused. I used to have time warner and it was modem to router and that was it.
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to start a new thread.  Adding on to old threads like this means your posts don't get seen by many folks due to the way this forum's software works (or doesn't work...).

If you have Verizon set-top-boxes, you need a Verizon router to provide them with a link to the internet so they can get guide data, VOD streams and other configuration information.  It is difficult if not impossible to provide these links without a Verizon router.  If you don't have any Verizon set-top-boxes or use any advanced Verizon TV services such as VOD, you shouldn't need their router.

You can use any router you want.  Verizon will not provide any support if you don't use their router.  This includes any issues that may appear to be unrelated to a router; they will insist on the installation of a Verizon router and removal of any non-Verizon routers before working on any issues.  If you use a non-Verizon router, keep a Verizon router handy in case you need Verizon support.

Switching the ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN is easy.  Just call or chat with Verizon support and they should do it for you while you wait.  No tech visit required.  Of course, you're responsible for handling the wiring changes.

This FAQ will help  you understand your options:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

If you have further questions, please start a new thread.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2
Once I get ONT from mocha to Ethernet I need to run cat 6 cable to the house. My ont is currently in the garage and connects to the Verizon gateway quantum. My question I guess would be how do I keep the TV service not verizon set top boxes but tivos that use the cable cards running. They need to have coaxial hooked up to them which I assume it comes from the ONT. Would switching from mocha to the Ethernet disable this? I started a new thread as I saw this was an old one and it was deleted and was told to read the reply on this one.
0 Likes
Re: How to use your own router with Verizon FiOS
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@webdevii wrote:

The way I did mine is I found a 3rd Tier Support person in Austin Texas that was willing to do it for me.  It does take an installer to come out and do the verification, there is no physical work that needs to be done,  All they do is Enable that port from their Central Office.  It is also FREE!!

Then you would disable your Actiontec Router portion in the setup menu. That allows the TV portion to still remain active but disables the Internet portion so as not to interfere with your own router.

Next Plug a Cat-6e Cable into the Ethernet port on your ONT and the other end into the WAN port on your router (usually the Yellow Port), Then as in any other router configuration set up your router as you normally would.  Keep in mind The old Internet Standard was to have an ISP Modem that would connect to your Router. With Fibre service the ONT becomes your Modem. Once that is all complete you may need to contact Verizon, when you do BE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOW ON Ethernet over Ethernet not MoCA then ask them to Release and Reset your IP pool and it will take several Minutes to dish out a new WAN IP, When the Green light beside the Ethernet label on your ONT lights up you know your connected.

Resume as normal as you would for any other ISP internet service.

It took me probably 3 months to push and politely press to get this done, by no means get an attitude or be forcefull with the 3rd Tier reps,  be as nice as you can as this is not a provided feature although they are Tarriffed to do it.

you just have to find the right rep that will work with you.  Then the end game is you will connect your "ASUS RT-87U" 4 way MU-MUMO router and have blazing fast speeds as FiOS does not Cap any service speeds over 75 Mbps service, and it is Syncronous ie: 75 up and 75 down.  I am paying for 75 / 75 and attaining over 100 Mbps true thruput.

That is how it is done.

The last thing is buy high quality Molded Ethernet Cables Cat-6e which supports 10Gbps at 200' Max distance, you can buy them at PI Manufacturing for dirt cheap, 100' cost me roughly $20.00 and so on.

Good Luck, get bakc to me if you need any further assistance

Dev

____________________________________________________________________________________
You make it sound very hard.
All you need to do is to call support and request a change to provisioning of your ont to ethernet.  They will do it over the phone with you, takes about 15 minutes.
Before you have them make the change make sure you release the ip address that your verizon router has.  Logon to the router and select my network, network connection and release the ip address and then immediately disconnect or turn off the router.
You can use cat 5 or cat 6 ethernet cable, they both support gigabit with no issues.
You may want to read this for information on various connectivity options
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thank you. So I went to check the ONT and saw that there was an Ethernet cable there already hooked up. I had support over the phone yesterday and they had asked me if I had already ran Ethernet cable from the ONT and I wasn't sure so I told him not to do anything. I checked what I think it's the ONT and realize that there was already Ethernet plugged in there. I open the door that said customer access and checked and Ethernet is already hooked up there under the Ethernet label port. I just have to see where that ethernet cable runs to which I assume it will be one coming out of the wall to the verizon quantum router. I am so mad at myself because I asked technician if I could use my own router and they said no so I almost sold my Asus router. So glad to hear there's a possibility. So is the Ethernet cable that is there the cable that needs to be plugged to my wan port on my asus router? Release IP from the verizon and call tech support to have them convert my ONT from mocha to Ethernet
0 Likes
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2

so I got them to swith my ONT To ethernet and now my wireless connection is really crappy. I was averaging about 100mbps now is down to 9mbps, nothing has changed the location of the router or anything havent' changed, haven't added any new items to the network. only thing that happened was the coax to ethernet, my wired connection is good but it was always good. any thoughts?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You say the location is the same, but what router are you using for WiFi?

If you are using still using the Actiontec and also another router for WiFi you need to have them on different channels.   

Since you are getting your contracted speed when directly connected to the router using an Ethernet cable you will have to trouble shoot your WiFi on your own with suggestions from peers on this board since the problem is on your wireless LAN and isn't a FIOS problem.     If you are no longer have your Actiontec router hooked up Verizon will do very little to help you until you put it back as your primary router.  Changing from MOCA to Ethernet for your WAN connection should have no impact on your upload or download speeds.

Good luck!

0 Likes
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am
Using the gateway as I wanted to rule out any issues.
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You then need to do some basic testing to isolate where your problem(s) are.

DO NOT START OFF BY RUNNING SPPED TESTS ON THE INTERNET USING WiFi.

1.   Using hardwired Ethernet connections run WAN speedtests.  (There are free untilities to do this.)

2.  Then run the WAN speedtests first with one end using WiFi then both ends using WiFi.   If  your router has both 2.4 Ghz and  5 Ghz test using both bands.   Do the tests in several locations within your home starting in the same room that your router is located in.

3.  Then run speedtests using the Ethernet first connected directly to the router using Ethernet cables and then using WiFi connections.

With the data you have collected you will have a better idea where the problems are and if necessary others on this site can make suggestions on what can be done to resolve the issues.