WCB6200Q giving ~500mbp speed when connected via ethernet
ctp1223
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello there, 

Not sure if this is a fact I do not know about but I came here to confirm. 

I have recently purchased the new G3100 router as my main router with gigabit internet. I used to have a wcb6200q running over coax from when I had the g1100 going to the basement of the house. Since the wcb6200q is not compatible with the g3100 over coax (or not without a headache at least), I decided to try connecting it via ethernet instead. I purchased the wcb6200q from verizon directly. 

From the g3100, I have an ethernet cable (lets call e1) running down to my basement, hits a generic tp link switch, then another ethernet cable (e2) into port 1 of the wcb6200q. When I plug my computer into port 2 on the wcb6200q, it is giving me ~500mbp speeds. I may be a complete novice here, but shouldn't this be near 1gbp? When I switch e2 back into my computer, I am getting near the 1gbp speed. Not sure if there is some limitation to the wcb6200q when feeding it with an ethernet connection. I thought it was capable of 1gbp speeds. The cables are also cat5e. 

*edit: forgot to mention that I rented the g1100 router and need to return it with the purchase of the g3100. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WCB6200Q giving ~500mbp speed when connected via ethernet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you testing the speeds from the Internet or just the internal network?

As Edg1 suggested, I'd recommend you to test the internal network speeds first using iperf3.

You can have one computer connected to a LAN port on the G3100 serving as the iperf3 server and another computer connected to an Ethernet port on the WCB6200Q serving as the iperf3 client. Then test speeds between them. Make sure both computers are fast enough to send and receive gigabit.

WCB6200Q has a hardware 5-port gigabit switch chip, but only two Ethernet ports are built out (oh well).

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They definitely have gigabit ethernet ports. It's sounds like the wiring and switch is fine. Have you tried E1 into the 6200 then E2 into the PC? You could also test with iperf between the PC and 6200 to verify the network speed. 

ctp1223
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will try this soon. I just need to run out to get another surge protector to plug it in. 

For anyone new responding a made a diagram to show the connections https://imgur.com/a/uONqo3U 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you testing the speeds from the Internet or just the internal network?

As Edg1 suggested, I'd recommend you to test the internal network speeds first using iperf3.

You can have one computer connected to a LAN port on the G3100 serving as the iperf3 server and another computer connected to an Ethernet port on the WCB6200Q serving as the iperf3 client. Then test speeds between them. Make sure both computers are fast enough to send and receive gigabit.

WCB6200Q has a hardware 5-port gigabit switch chip, but only two Ethernet ports are built out (oh well).