Web pages won't load consistently - requires multiple refreshes (WiFi and Wired)
triton30
Enthusiast - Level 2

Somone else posted a similar problem but my problem occurs when wired and wireless.  I tried calling Verizon support but that is a whole differnet story in itself (they want me to pay them to troubleshoot their network since this is above Tier 1's head).

PROBLEM:

- Going to a website requires multiple refreshes to load.  Not every time but most of the time.  The problem appears to have gotten worse over the past several months.  

- Clicking a link within a website results in the same problem.  

- A website will half load with no pictures and entire areas not filled in.  A refresh usually fixes it but not always. Sometimes many refreshes are required.

WHAT IS AFFECTED:

- All devices affected (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone)

- All browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome)

- Wired and wireless 

MY TROUBLESHOOTING

- Obviously checked all my varied devices.. all suffer from the issue when on the Fios network (wired and wireless)

- Changed Verizon router config to use google's and OpenDNS' servers  -> same results

- Changed my Mac's and PC's DNS to use google and OpenDNS -> same results

- Swapped out my Fios wireless router with a newer one (MI424WR Rev. I) -> same results

It's to the point where I can't use my internet anymore.  The speed is fine (50/60mb) when it does work. 

I'm sure this problem is on the Verizon network.  My devices work fine when at work or at someone else's home. 

Verizon support, Tier 1, other than checking my connection levels and doing some ping and traceroutes had no idea.  What really got me is that they wanted me to pay for their Premium Support.  I called them just for kicks and they said they only work on PC issues and promptly transferred me back to the general support queue.

Anyone have a similar issue which was resolved?  How do I even get someone competent to look into this?  Please help.

0 Likes
Re: Web pages won't load consistently - requires multiple refreshes (WiFi and Wired)
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

What you could test, is going to Verizon's Speedtest server. This will test if it is a problem with your Verizon link to the outside, or if its just a connection issue to a server.

https://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

@triton30 wrote:

It's to the point where I can't use my internet anymore.  The speed is fine (50/60mb) when it does work. 

Is this happening all the time then? Or only at peak hours and such.

I wish I could be of more assistance, but this does sound like something going on at Verizon. 

0 Likes
Re: Web pages won't load consistently - requires multiple refreshes (WiFi and Wired)
triton30
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks but it's not a question of speed.  Speed is fine.. I get 50 down and 60 up. consistently all times of the day  I've tested using speedtest.net and the verizon link you provided.  The problem occurs all the time (not just morning or evening).

The issue is getting to sites consistently.  It seems like a DNS issue but again, I've tried OpenDNS and Google DNS servers without any improvement.

I agree that it's something on Verizon's network but how do I get Verizon to even look into it?  This is beyond Tier 1 level.  I need a Verizon network engineer to work with me on this.  I am a network engineer myself so I've done my due dilgence to rule out any issues on my end.

This is in central NJ, Essex county.

Verizon needs to step up here and help find a solution.   

0 Likes
triton30
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I've found a workaround.  I can go to any website and have it load fully on the first attempt, includng all pictures.

There was a thread on this forum here a year and a half ago about a very similar issue in Texas:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Unable-To-Connect-To-Certain-Websites/td-p/684937

The workaround for them (and so far me too) is to set your router's MTU to 1496 instead of the default 1500.  This, again, points to a problem on the VERIZON network. 

The problem in Texas was resolved by Verizon and users were able to go back to the 1500 default MTU with success.

The link above references another useful blog by a fellow user here (thanks Chris!)

http://chrisbenard.net/2014/02/25/How-to-Fix-Verizon-FiOS-Problem-Connecting-to-Websites/

Changing the MTU on your router is NOT a solution.  Verizon needs to fix this.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to escalate this within Verizon to someone who handles these kinds of issues?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go back to support and let them know that is what you found to make the issue work.

That may be something that keys them to what the issue is and help them pass it along to the correct folks.