What exactly does the InHome Agent Wireless Optimizer optimize?
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I got FIOS the other week, I ran the In Home agent, more so just to see what it was, and used the Wireless Optimizer feature.

Since then, my computer won't go into sleep mode.  I thought it may have changed a setting on my NIC to wake the computer, but can't find anything that isn't set the way it should.

Is there documentation somewhere of what this feature changes?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What exactly does the InHome Agent Wireless Optimizer optimize?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@smokeybandit wrote:

When I got FIOS the other week, I ran the In Home agent, more so just to see what it was, and used the Wireless Optimizer feature.

Since then, my computer won't go into sleep mode.  I thought it may have changed a setting on my NIC to wake the computer, but can't find anything that isn't set the way it should.

What does the Speed Optimizer tool do?
There are several system parameters that can be altered on your PC in order to improve download speeds over the FiOS network.

The Speed Optimizer tool modifies your TCP/IP configuration to allow your system to receive data at a faster rate.

What is TCP/IP?
TCP/IP Stands for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol and allows your system to communicate with other networked computers over the Internet. The standard TCP/IP configuration is optimized for communications over small local networks.

Which parameters and settings does the Speed Optimizer modify?

1. TCP 1323 Extensions - This parameter enables enhancements to the TCP/IP protocol that provide improved performance over high speed connections.

2. TCP Receive Window - This parameter specifies the number of bytes a sender (the source you are downloading from) may transmit without receiving an acknowledgment. Modifying it determines the maximum size offered by the system.

3. MTU (Maximum Transmission Units) - The MTU defines the largest single unit of data that can be transmitted over your connection. The FiOS network requires an MTU of 1492 bytes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@smokeybandit wrote:

What does the Speed Optimizer tool do?
There are several system parameters that can be altered on your PC in order to improve download speeds over the FiOS network.

The Speed Optimizer tool modifies your TCP/IP configuration to allow your system to receive data at a faster rate.

What is TCP/IP?
TCP/IP Stands for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol and allows your system to communicate with other networked computers over the Internet. The standard TCP/IP configuration is optimized for communications over small local networks.

Which parameters and settings does the Speed Optimizer modify?

1. TCP 1323 Extensions - This parameter enables enhancements to the TCP/IP protocol that provide improved performance over high speed connections.

2. TCP Receive Window - This parameter specifies the number of bytes a sender (the source you are downloading from) may transmit without receiving an acknowledgment. Modifying it determines the maximum size offered by the system.

3. MTU (Maximum Transmission Units) - The MTU defines the largest single unit of data that can be transmitted over your connection. The FiOS network requires an MTU of 1492 bytes.

0 Likes
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, just found that myself.

Though I don't see how changing any of those three would cause the problem I'm seeing.

Maybe it was a Windows update.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I doubt it's a Windows update, honestly. I would go into your Device Manager and check over your Wireless card's settings, specifically those relating to power save to see if perhaps changing one of those solves the problem.

Does forcing the computer go to sleep work at all or doesn't that work?
0 Likes
FedUp_Kstmr

This tool might change some  tcp/ip parameters  in the WINDOWS register. For people with some knoledge  of the register, the following link can help to change these parameters manually.

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Note many do not recommend the modifications on Windows Vista or 7.