What is the latest current version of the Actiontec router for FiOS internet?
novajeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I will be moving in a couple of months and I'm wondering if I should turn in my current router and ask for a new one when I get the service installed at my new house, vs taking my current router with me.  I've had mine for over 2 years now. The main issue I have is that the signal is sort of weak. I will be moving to a much bigger place and I'm worried the wireless won't be strong enough to reach end to end or outside.  

Can someone confirm the latest and greatest Actiontec model # of the router that they are installing, and I can check to see if it's something newer than what I have.

Thanks

Re: What is the latest current version of the Actiontec router for FiOS internet?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

rev f is the latest for under 100 mb service

and 

rev g is the latest for over 100 mb service

Re: What is the latest current version of the Actiontec router for FiOS internet?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

But remember that there is no telling what you will get when the tech installs the service. You get what they have on the truck. You cannot request a specific one. And they are still handing out rev's D's, E's, and F's. I've even heard tell that they still have some C's floating around too. So you take your chances if you turn in your old one and have them install a new. Now I'm not saying that you shouldnt. In fact if I had a 2 year old one, I'd probably turn it in and take my chances. I'm just saying that dont count on getting a ref F, you are just as likely to get one of the others.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that there is no telling if you will get a new one or not either. Many of the routers being installed are refurbished. So you take that chance as well.

novajeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just checked and mine is a Rev E. So, I guess my next question is... is the range of the F better than the E? Anyone know the improvements to the F over the E?  Wondering if I should bother gambling/fighting for the F.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's no big difference between the Rev. E and Rev. F. The 54Mbps vs. 65Mbps speed difference due to the Rev. F having somewhat of Wireless N support is the only notable difference. I wouldn't bother unless the Rev. E starts to die.

novajeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ugh..  ok.  They really need to use a new type of router that actually has a range of more than like 20 feet.

Guess I'll be patching together some secondary router to boost my wireless somehow.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon routers do have a good amount of range on them. I'm using an ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. D running DD-WRT on my DSL connection, which replaced an older and slowly dying Linksys WRT54GXv1. The ActionTec seems to broadcast just as far as the Linksys does. Transfer wise when I go out that far, I don't know how nicely it works yet but I've seen no issues with it in my home. Other homes with the FiOS routers, it is generally due to the positioning of the router (Basements are terrible places, signals don't go down nicely) or due to being on a noisy channel. In some cases, an antenna replacement is all that is needed, and additionally, disabling the Auto-Scan function and setting a channel manually on the router work wonders as well.

The Rev. G should be able to get better range by design, since it is N compliant and supports MIMO. The Rev. F and older routers do have two antennas, one internal and one external SMA antenna, so they do support Diversity as a result which helps with range and speed.

I do agree with you however with the routers needing a better design. More RAM for future proofing, more antennas (Maybe 6 Internal, two external?) with Simultaneous dual-band Wireless N, Gigabit and better firmware design would be nice. Wouldo also be nice to see the return of Ethernet installs comes around, instead of it being for only the 150Mbps connections. It'd be less headaches in the long run and better service quality despite some additional install time and more cabling.

novajeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any news of when the G revision will be out?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Right now the Revision G is only out for people using the 150Mbps FiOS Package, as the other revisions Verizon offers do not support Gigabit and Wireless N (but they do have the CPU power under the hood!). You can ask Verizon for a Rev. G, but no guarantees that you'll get one since inventory on those units are maintained pretty tightly. Until Verizon runs out of the other revisions, I doubt they'll start handing out Rev. G and newer routers to people on the lower packages.

If you do however want to use your own router, get Verizon to move your Install from MoCa to Ethernet for Internet connectivity. From there, use a router that is powerful enough to handle the FiOS (any mid-range/high end N router will do) along with the additional speed firing up Video on Demand creates. Use a NIM100 to give your Set Top Boxes connectivity if you have FiOS TV, and you can put the ActionTec away as a spare or for support reasons.