Contributor - Level 2

Okay so where can i buy a better router? Right now i have the default 

MI424WR
Rev.E

and i want to get 

MI424WR
Rev.F

but where to buy in stores? 

They seriously need to put it in stores or something i want to upgrade my wireless speed! I am getting bout 12 Mbps download and 5 Mbps up... Also on my ps3 lag... i have bout a 10Mbps speed on my ps3 or sometimes 2Mbps... I have 25/25 but not near but when i use my ethernet port i get great speed from 25 down to 23up so seriously put more routers in stores so i can buy and you make more money... I am not an online shopper. PLEASE put more Rev.F in stores so i can buy it... and what does this mean? image

It said future so what does that mean they will upgrade the router for rev e or are they talking bout rev f???

0 Likes
Re: where can i buy a better a fios router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For an upgraded router, you'll have to ask Verizon to send another one out and hope they do so. Otherwise, you'll have to ask a tech to stop down and see if he can give you something like a Rev. F. It's a gamble right now since as you stated, they don't let you buy what version of the FiOS router you want. You're basically given something that works with the service and that would be it.

How are you measuring the speed on the PS3, by the way? The speed test built-in to the PS3 is known to be unreliable and not useful for anything but a basic DSL or Cable connection. You're better off performing a speed test within the PS3's web browser to something like testmy.net or by downloading from PSN a game demo to the hard drive. In addition, you're also better off wiring the PS3 to the router. The reliability of a wired connection cannot be beat.

I would also check the Wireless speed on a Wireless PC, if possible. You may just need to change the channel your router operates on if there are other networks in your area using the same channels.

On a final note, I cannot see your attachment at the moment as it needs to be approved, second of all, you can use your own router with the FiOS service, as outlined here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I tried with a router in the wan port but it didn't work.Also i changed the wireless channels and some got worst and some stayed the same no improvement in speed and yes i used the builtin speedtest on my ps3 and speedtest.net and verizon fios speed test on my computers.Why would they put it on the actiontec website if i can't buy it... Makes no sense...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WAN Port on the ONT or the WAN Port on the FiOS router? Big difference as to what each thing does and how each will work.

Try changing some other settings on the FiOS Router. Set the radio to use WPA2 and also set it to stick the speed at Wireless G speeds (eg; G-Only mode). Disable anything special such as frame bursting that may appear in the router's Wireless settings. Then, on a PC in your home, run a speed test from http://testmy.net/ and note down the results. On FIOS, use a 50MB download test, and use the 29.3MB upload test. Perform them on a moderm browser such as IE8, IE9 or new builds of Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera.

Use a program such as InSSIDer to determine what wireless channels are being used in your area. Set your router to use the channels 1, 6, or 11 (or use overlapping channels ONLY if they do perform better) based on what InSSIDer displays. After changing the channel, repeat the speed tests at testmy.net

The ActionTec routers on ActionTec's website are listed as a Service Provider unit, meaning the taylor the unit towards the Service Provider. It's a shame the units aren't available for purchase, but that's the reality of things. It's good hardware, the firmware is just terrible at times.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

ther Ethernet wan port on router of crouse...and the highest i got was 14... no where higher by the speed but not getting 14 right now... i am getting 12...image

i am on wpa2 i never changed to wpa or wep... As said i already tried with different channel and no good results...

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Hwllo so how can i use a better router? How do i get it up and running?Also if i have a router will i need to cancel the verizon router part and will i still need to do the portforward stuff and everything on both routers?

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

see i get good speed when wired... 

i seriously jut need a router upgrade... but don't know how

0 Likes