where can router be located in the chain of wiring
ellkell
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently had fios 150 speed internet and tv installed.  The tech located the gigabit quantum gateway router in the attic.  The router connects to the ONT with one ethernet cable.  The router feeds 3 other locations (bedroom, LR and downstairs) with ethernet cables.

I would like to install a gigabit switch in the attic in place of the were the router is currently, and move the router to a location in the house.  Would it make any difference in functionality of the system if I moved the router to say the bedroom (which is a terminal location) vs having the other feeds come out of the router?  

I am not asking about wifi reception - I know that when you move a router the wifi coverage changes.  I am just asking about the networking functionality.  In the description above, the 3 feeds would come out of a switch vs the router and i dont know if that makes a difference or if I would have to have a return feed from the router back to the switch.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: where can router be located in the chain of wiring
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No matter what you do, the router will need to live between the switch and the ONT. Verizon only provides a single IP address out of the ONT to Residential connections, and to keep all of your devices on the same network, you'll also need to ensure that they stay on the same network.

If you plan to move the router into the bedroom (probably a better spot for it - Attics are rough environments), run another Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router's new home. Then from there, you can connect the other Ethernet connection from the Bedroom to the Attic, where the switch can then live and connect up the rest of the house.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No matter what you do, the router will need to live between the switch and the ONT. Verizon only provides a single IP address out of the ONT to Residential connections, and to keep all of your devices on the same network, you'll also need to ensure that they stay on the same network.

If you plan to move the router into the bedroom (probably a better spot for it - Attics are rough environments), run another Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router's new home. Then from there, you can connect the other Ethernet connection from the Bedroom to the Attic, where the switch can then live and connect up the rest of the house.

ellkell
Enthusiast - Level 1

THANKS - THATS AWSOME

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anytime!

0 Likes